This shell sunflower craft can turn shells from a family trip into a gorgeous keepsake gift. Making one is a simple craft for both kids and adults.
Nature crafts like this are the perfect way to use all of the shells you find on your adventures and travels. Even if they are found in your own backyard or just out your front door.
I had some shell leis from a trip to Hawaii that we took apart to make this beautiful nature craft. The stick and stone were found by my daughter and I on our daily adventures.
Shell Sunflower Craft
In order to collect some of the things you need for this project, you will most likely need to rummage through your supplies and/or go on a nature hunt.
I don’t recommend buying twigs, stones, and shells unless you can’t find them where you live. I have included affiliate links to supplies if you need them.
Placing the shells in the glue on the plaque makes a fantastic fine motor activity for kids. Fine motor activities strengthen the hand for writing and more detailed hand work. Once finished this shell flower nature craft makes a wonderful gift for Mother’s Day, Christmas, and birthday’s!
Shell Sunflower Craft Materials
- Cowrie shells
- Small stick/twig
- Small stones
- Wood plaque
- Coral liquid watercolor paint (or any of these liquid watercolors)
- Sanding sponge
- Mod Podge
- 1 inch Watercolor wash brush
- Craft glue or glue gun with glue sticks
Shell Sunflower Craft Directions
1. Sand wood plaque.
3. Apply a Mod Podge with a foam brush to seal and protect. Allow to dry.
4. Arrange twigs, stones, and shells onto the plaque to make flowers. Play with the picture that you want to create before gluing it down.
5. Once you are happy with your shell sunflower use craft glue or a glue gun to glue it down. [I prefer craft glue for this project because you can move things around a bit as you work. If you want the pieces to be locked in as soon as you place them on the wood use a glue gun.]
6. (Optional) Apply a coat of Mod Podge on top of DIY Shell flowers to seal and protect.
That’s it… Easy peasy!
This shell sunflower craft is a simple nature craft and fine motor activity for both kids and adults. They make lovely home decor and are a great gift for Mother’s Day, Christmas, birthday’s, and anniversaries! They are the perfect gift for the fourth wedding anniversary which is traditionally flowers.
You May Also Like
- DIY Shell Flowers
- Shell Flower Nature Craft
- Shell Frame with Handprint Keepsake Gift
- Stone and Shell Owl Craft
- All Season Hand and Fingerprint Tree
- DIY Rainbow Peg Dolls for pretend play and matching games
- Nature Scavenger Hunt
- DIY Rainbow Colored Blocks
For more fun ideas follow me on Facebook & Pinterest!
Subscribe to our mailing list so you don’t miss anything!
The One Essential Tool You Need To Keep You and the Kids Happy!
Subscribe to the Rhythms of Play community newsletter to connect with your children, and find the FREEDOM to do the things you LOVE!