Learn how to make an all-purpose cleaner that smells great and cleans like a prize-winning champ with this DIY natural cleaning solution recipe.
Here’s a DIY all-purpose cleaner that makes it easy to keep the whole house clean–and disinfected–naturally. Use it to clean most household surfaces–including marble, tile, laminate, and vinyl. First, gather the natural DIY all-purpose cleaner recipe ingredients from the list below. Then, follow the simple step-by-step instructions in the following section to make a homemade all-purpose cleaner that makes clean up a snap. And have a look at this list of natural cleaning products, complete with homemade cleaning recipes, to learn more about each ingredient and stock up on cleaning supplies.
DIY All-Purpose Cleaner Recipe
Use this homemade all-purpose cleaner recipe to clean and disinfect floors, counters, and other surfaces in the home. Use it on marble, tile, laminate, and vinyl–but please do not use this all-purpose cleaner on natural wooden surfaces.
- 15 – 25 drops Lemon, Orange, Lavender, Tea Tree, or Thieves essential oil (optional)
- 8 oz distilled water
- 8 oz Hydrogen Peroxide
- Spray bottle with silicone protector
- A small drop of polysorbate 80. Polysorbate is a food-grade emulsifier that can create solubility between oil and water-based ingredients. It is used to disperse the essential oils in this all-purpose cleaning recipe so that they do not separate out. It can also help boost the cleaning power of the solution. (optional)
Making all-natural cleaning products is quick and easy when you keep the supplies you need in the cleaning pantry. So, grab the recipe ingredients above to make this DIY all-purpose cleaner–and be sure to keep them on hand for refills. Choose the other natural cleaning products you want to keep from this list of homemade cleaning supplies in the pantry.
How to Make Natural All-Purpose Cleaner
Learn how to make a natural DIY all-purpose cleaner and disinfectant that smells great and cleans like a prize-winning champ with the simple step-by-step DIY natural cleaning solution instructions below.
Step 1 – Add Essential Oils Directly to Spray Bottle (optional)
- Add drops of essential oils directly into the glass spray bottle for the natural cleaning solution recipe. (optional)
- Add a small drop of polysorbate 80 to help the essential oils mix into the cleaning solution. (optional)
- Give the bottle a gentle clockwise and counterclockwise swirl to mix the oils before moving on to the next step.
Step 2 – Add Distilled Water to Essential Oils
- Next, add 1 cup of distilled water to the spray bottle.
Step 3 – Pour Hydrogen Peroxide into Homemade Cleaning Solution
- Add approximately 1 cup (8 ounces) of Hydrogen Peroxide to fill the remiander of the bottle.
- Be sure to leave enough room to put the spray nozzle into it so that the homemade cleaning solution does not overflow. In other words, add just under 1 cup (8 ounces) of distilled water to the mixture.
- Finally, put the nozzle on, and give it a gentle shake and a swirl to gently mix the ingredients.
Storing and Using DIY All-Purpose Cleaner
We use a blue glass spray bottle with measurements for our all-purpose cleaner in our home. Glass is eco-friendly and best for storing and using essential oils. Using glass spray bottles is also much better for the environment–and our homes.
And, if the idea of glass spray bottles and the possibility of breakage puts you on edge–put a silicone protector on each of them to put your nerves at ease and your mind at rest.
There are also clear glass and amber spray bottles are available. However, we like to use a clear glass spray bottle for our DIY glass and window cleaner and an amber-colored bottle for our wood cleaner and polish. Using a different colored bottle for each homemade cleaning solution makes it easier for everyone in the household to know at first glance which homemade cleaner is which–no label needed.
The bonus of using a glass bottle is that I don’t mind it sitting on my kitchen counter, ready to use. It looks much nicer than a plastic bottle with a big ugly logo. Besides, leaving it sitting on the kitchen counter makes my children and husband more likely to use it, and there’s no harm in that. Maybe it will work for you, too!
How to Clean with Homemade All-Purpose Cleaner
Follow the steps below to use this excellent DIY all-purpose cleaner to clean most household surfaces, including kitchen counters and bathroom floors, naturally! Use it on laminate, tile, and marble surfaces, but please do not use this all-purpose cleaner recipe on real wood floors or wooden furniture. Instead, use this DIY Wood Cleaner for any actual wood surfaces in the home, classroom, or office.
- Give the bottle of DIY cleaning solution a gentle shake and a swirl before using.
- Grab a sponge, cotton rag, microfiber cloth, or a terry cloth mop with washable cotton refills and you are ready for some serious all-purpose cleaning.
- Spray directly onto countertops, sinks, toilets, laminate tabletops, fixtures, floors (tile, laminate, or vinyl), and more–to clean and disinfect in one easy go!
Another Simple Natural All-Purpose DIY Cleaner Tip
When you need more cleaning power, sprinkle baking soda onto the surface or item you wish to clean after spraying it with your homemade cleaning solution. The mild abrasive power of baking soda makes this optional step less than desirable for some cleaning tasks.
For example, please do not use baking soda on marble countertops and fixtures, glass or windows, ceramic stovetops, aluminum, antique silver, wood furniture, or wooden floors. Because baking soda is an abrasive powder–cleaning these items will likely cause more harm than good. Another less abrasive option is to use a toothbrush. For more natural cleaning tips, visit how to make All-Natural Cleaning Products.
Homemade All-purpose Cleaning Solution Recipe
When it comes to making homemade cleaning recipes, and keeping the house clean, creating household cleaning routines has been the ticket to my success. And today, making natural cleaning solutions is a part of the household rhythms that I enjoy.
Let me show you how to create rhythms and routines that make keeping the house clean and tidy effortless. Building a home cleaning routine is easy when you have excellent tools and resources to help. Get started with our FREE Guide–> QuickStart Weekly Planning Guide.
And, learn more about us HERE–> About Rhythms of Play.