4th of July Wands – Show your spirit with some patriotic red, white, and blue ribbon star wands. DIY patriotic star wands are perfect for memorial day, the 4th of July, and make a great no-sew felt toy or party favor for any red, white, and blue themed event.
Patriotic Red White and Blue Ribbon Star Wands
When my daughter and I made these gorgeous rainbow fairy wands, we decided to make a patriotic version for memorial day and the 4th of July.
Patriotic wands like these red, white and blue ribbon star wands are a safe alternative to sparklers for kids to wave around at 4th of July parties and parades.
Patriotic Star Wand Materials
- White glimmer felt or stiff felt
- Star cookie cutter
- Fabric marker (disappearing ink)
- Red, white and blue ribbon plain or polka dot
- Wooden dowels (1/4 X 12 inches)
- Silver tinsel cord (non-stretch)
- Low-temp glue gun
How to Make Red, White, and Blue Wands
Prepare Patriotic Wands
1. Use a star-shaped cookie cutter and a fabric marker with disappearing ink to trace stars onto the back of glimmer felt. You will need two stars for each magic wand. The ink will disappear in about 12-24 hours, or, use water to remove it. Yes, it even works on white felt!
2. Cut six 12 – 14 in sections of red, white and blue ribbons. We used two of each color for each wand. Arrange the red, white and blue ribbons in the color order you like. Check out the photo collage below to see how we made ours.
Assemble Patriotic Wands
1. Use a low-temperature glue gun to attach the ribbon to the inside bottom of one side of each of the felt stars. It’s easiest to do one dab of glue and one ribbon at a time.
2. Place a wooden dowel on one-half of each star and glue in place.
3. Glue the star halves together with the wooden dowel and ribbons inside. Make sure the glimmer side of the felt is facing out. You may also have to match the stars up for the best fit.
4. Glue the silver tinsel cord to the outside edge of the patriotic star wands. You will be touching the glue and getting it all over your fingers so it is VERY important that you use a low-temperature glue gun or a glue gun that has a low-temperature setting. High-temperature glue guns will burn… Use caution!
I started on the back side of the star and worked it around to the front. To finish, I cut and glued a small section of silver tinsel cord to the part of the star without cord on the back.
Related: DIY Monarch Butterfly Peg Dolls
DIY Red, White, and Blue Star Wands
Patriotic red, white and blue ribbon star wands are fun and safe for the kids to wave around at 4th of July parties and parades. They also make great party favors!
Be sure to check out our DIY Rainbow Ribbon Fairy Wands for more photos and star wand making tips!
Make a Patriotic Red, White and Blue Stars Sensory bottle for even more 4th of July fun! Check out our summer bucket list for more fun ideas!
If you Liked Patriotic Star Wands, You may also like:
The One Essential Tool You Need To Get Organized For Good!
Subscribe to the Rhythms of Play community newsletter to get organized, connect with your kids, and find the FREEDOM to do the things you LOVE!