These DIY heart leaf lanterns make beautiful gifts that even kids can make. Little one’s like mine will need some assistance while older kids would be able to easily make these on their own.
These sweet little luminaries can be filled with treats and a candle or two and given as gifts. They are perfect for Christmas, Valentine’s Day or any other special occasion.
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. Thank you for choosing to support this blog!
DIY Heart Leaf Lanterns
The heart leaf luminaries in the photos were made using real fall leaves! If you don’t have any fall leaves available, you can use tissue paper instead.
Heart Leaf Lanterns: Materials
- Fall Leaves (beautiful yellow, orange, and red leaves – alternatively you can use tissue paper.)
- Wide Mouth Upcycled or 16 ounce canning jars and/or 32 ounce canning jars
- Sqeeze punch heart
- Mod Podge
- Foam brush
- White tissue paper
- Tea lights
Heart Leaf Lanterns: Directions
1. Use a heart paper punch to cut leaf hearts. You may need to trim the edges of the leaf to be able to easily slide it into the squeeze punch. Kids love helping with this.
2. Cut tissue paper strips — Cut strips of white tissue paper 1 1/2 to 2″ wide and slightly longer than the jar you will be using.
3. Apply mod podge to jar — Place your hand inside the jar to hold it and use a foam brush to apply Mod Podge to the entire jar below the threads. Mod Podge goes on white and dries clear.
4. Stick tissue paper strips onto the jar — Carefully stick tissue strips one by one onto the jar. Place a circle or square of tissue paper on the bottom of the jar and wrap strips around the bottom. You will need to apply Mod Podge on top of the tissue on the bottom to stick everything down.
5. Reapply Mod Podge to sides and bottom of jar on top of the tissue paper. This will seal and protect it, and make it easy to stick the heart leaves on it.
6. Apply heart leaves on the jar while the Mod Podge is still wet. Kids love to do this part. You can move them around a bit once stuck before they dry, but be careful not to disturb the tissue paper. Smooth out any air bubbles by gently rubbing the heart leafs from the center out.
7. Carefully apply Mod Podge on top of heart leaves
9. Place Upside down and Allow to Dry
DIY Heart leaf lanterns make beautiful luminaries and an easy gift idea that even kids can make. You can use real fall leaves or tissue paper to make them.
They are wonderful centerpieces for both indoor and outdoor use, and would be perfect for an autumn wedding. They can also be filled with treats and a candle and given as gifts for any special occasion!
If you liked heart leaf lanterns, you may also like:
- Turkey Leaf Lanterns
- Keepsake Gifts Kids Can Make
- Watercolor and Fall Leaves Art
- Fall Leaf Lacing
- Acorn Marble Necklaces Nature Craft
- Top 10 Fall Nature Crafts
For more ideas follow my Pinterest board.
Subscribe to our mailing list so you don’t miss the next post!