Making a fall leaves fish nature craft is easy for both kids and adults. These fish were made using autumn leaves and wet-on-wet watercolor paintings by my daughter.
Once finished these beautiful works of art can be framed and placed on the wall. They also make wonderful keepsake gifts!
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. Thank you for choosing to support this blog!
Fall Leaves Fish in the Sea Nature Craft
My daughter has been painting with watercolors as a part of her homeschooling so I have been looking for creative ways to use them. After reading Leaf Man by Lois Ehlert with her one day, we were inspired to create some of our own autumn leaf nature crafts using her paintings as the background.
We got out some of her paintings and some fall leaves we have been collecting on our daily walks and viola’! It was so easy and fun we can’t wait to make some more. My husband loves them so much he wants to frame and hang them.
Fall Leaves Fish Supplies
- Single color, two color, and/or three color wet-on-wet watercolor paintings or construction paper or cardstock.
- Fresh or preserved fall leaves
- Mod Podge
- Foam brush(s)
Fall Leaves Fish Preparation
Need leaves? Go on a Nature Hunt. If you don’t have any watercolor paintings you can create some first using the single color, two color, and three color wet-on-wet watercolor tutorials. Click on the links above to learn more about this process.
Short on time and don’t have any watercolor paintings? Use construction paper or another painting that would work.
Fall Leaves Fish Directions
1. Play with fall leaves to make different fish. Using a single lobed oval-shaped leaf as the body, and a leaf with 3 or more lobes overlapped stem side on top of stem side make wonderful looking leaf fish! You can even use another small leaf to add a fin if you like.
2. Use a foam brush to paint Mod Podge on the back of each leaf to glue them onto the paper.
3. Brush Mod Podge over the entire picture to seal and protect.
The leaves in the bottom right corner of the picture were made to look like a part of an ocean reef, but you can play with the leaves to create anything you like.
Use real autumn leaves to make these cute fall leaves fish in the sea! An easy handmade nature craft for both kids and adults. Once finished they make a beautiful DIY keepsake gift idea for any occasion!
You may also like:
- Single Color Wet-on-Wet Watercolor
- Two Color Wet-on-Wet Watercolor
- Collect Press and Preserve Fall Leaves
- Fall Leaf Lacing
- Turkey Leaf Lanterns
- Make a Thankful Tree
- Invitation to Create Fall Leaves Art
- Go on a Nature Hunt