This chemical-free DIY leave-in Conditioner and detangling spray is safe and effective for both kids and adults. Fight damage, repair split-ends, and easily comb out tangled locks full of knots in a young child’s hair without tears.
Related: Chemical Free Cleaning Kit for Kids
How to Make Chemical-Free DIY Leave-In Conditioner and Detangling Spray
I’ll be honest… I never worried about the chemicals in store-bought conditioning sprays until I had my daughter. All of a sudden I couldn’t bring myself to spray that nasty stuff on her. I didn’t want her inhaling it, and I didn’t want it in her hair.
First I went in search of the most organic, eco-friendly, chemical-free conditioner and detangling sprays I could find, but sometimes even those are misleading. Some of them contain sulfates, parabens, and/or propylene glycol. Each of these substances is harmful to our environment and even worse for our children.
After a few months of searching for the perfect Leave-In conditioner and detangling spray for my daughter, I decided to try to make my own. I started experimenting and testing. We tried three different concoctions over a two month period, and this one was our favorite.
Chemical-Free DIY Leave-In Conditioner Ingredients and Supplies
This DIY detangling spray recipe makes 8 oz.
- 3/4 cup (6 oz) distilled water
- 1 oz vegetable glycerine
- 1 oz vitamin e oil
- 10 drops lavender or essential oil of choice (see options below)
- 8 oz spray bottle cobalt blue glass, beach blue glass or Muliti-color BPA Free
DIY Detangling Spray Directions
- Add 3/4 cup of distilled water straight into a glass sprayer bottle. (Essential oils keep better in glass containers.)
- Add vegetable glycerine and vitamin e oil.
- Add 10 drops of lavender essential oil. Feel free to use a different essential oil such as citrus, grapefruit, ylang-ylang, rose or geranium .
Gently shake before each use. Brush through hair to detangle when hair is wet or dry. Spray into hair to condition and add shine as needed.
This chemical-free DIY leave-in Conditioner and detangling spray recipe is safe and effective for use on both kids and adults. Fight damage, repair split-ends, and easily comb out tangled locks full of knots in a young child’s hair without tears.
I have found that this recipe makes it really easy to comb through my daughter’s hair. Even my husband has noticed a difference. I think it works better than most store-bought leave-in conditioners and detangling sprays. I like it so much I use it myself. 🙂
To learn more about getting started with essential oils click on the link.
More Articles and Recipes Containing Essential Oils:
- All Purpose Cleaning Recipe
- Glass Cleaning Recipe
- Natural Wood Polish Recipe
- 7 Teething Tips to Naturally Soothe Your Baby
- DIY Scented Bath Salts
- Scented Cotton Ball Matching Game
- Kids Chemical Free Cleaning Kit
- Getting Started with Essential Oils for a Healthy Home
The One Essential Tool You Need To Get Organized For Good!
Subscribe to the Rhythms of Play community newsletter to get organized, connect with your kids, and find the FREEDOM to do the things you LOVE!