This all-natural homemade leave-in Conditioner detangler spray recipe is safe and effective for both kids and adults. Fight damage, repair split-ends, and easily comb out tangled locks in dry frizzy hair without tears with this detangling spray recipe.
Related: Chemical Free Cleaning Kit for Kids
How to Make Detangler Spray
I’ll be honest… I never worried about the harmful chemicals in store-bought conditioning sprays until I had my daughter. All of a sudden I couldn’t bring myself to spray that nasty stuff on her. I didn’t want her inhaling it, and I didn’t want it in her hair.
First I went in search of the most natural conditioning detangler spray that I could find, but sometimes even those are misleading. Some of the conditioning sprays contain sulfates, parabens, and/or propylene glycol. Each of these substances is harmful to our environment and even worse for our children.
After a few months of searching for the perfect leave-in conditioner and detangling spray for my daughter, I decided to try to make my own. I started experimenting and testing with different mixtures of natural ingredients to find something natural that would work.
We tried three different concoctions over a two month period, and this detangling spray recipe was our favorite.
DIY Leave-In Conditioner and Detangling Spray Recipe
This DIY detangling spray recipe makes enough to fill an 8 oz spray bottle.
- 3/4 cup (6 oz) distilled water
- 1 oz vegetable glycerine
- 1/2 oz vitamin e oil
- 10 drops lavender essential oil or another essential oil of choice (see options below)
- 8 oz spray bottle cobalt blue glass, beach blue glass or muliti-color BPA Free
Homemade Leave-In Conditioner Directions
- Add 3/4 cup of distilled water straight into a glass sprayer bottle. (Essential oils can keep better in glass containers over time.)
- Next, add 1oz of vegetable glycerine and 1 oz of vitamin e oil directly to the detangler spray bottle.
- Add 10 drops of lavender essential oil. Or, substitute another favorite essential oil, We like to use citrus, grapefruit, ylang-ylang, rose or geranium.
Gently shake homemade leave-in conditioner before each use. Brush conditioner through the hair to detangle it when hair is either wet or dry. Spray detangling spray into dry frizzy hair to condition and add shine as needed.
This homemade leave-in Conditioner and detangling spray recipe is safe and effective for use on both kids and adults. Fight damage, repair split-ends, and easily comb out tangled locks full of knots in a young child’s hair without tears.
I have found that this recipe makes it really easy to comb through my daughter’s hair. Even my husband has noticed a difference. I think it works better than most store-bought leave-in conditioners and detangling sprays. I like it so much I use it myself. 🙂
To learn more about getting started with essential oils click on the link.
More Articles and Recipes Containing Essential Oils:
- All Purpose Cleaning Recipe
- Glass Cleaning Recipe
- Natural Wood Polish Recipe
- DIY Scented Bath Salts
- Scented Cotton Ball Matching Game
- Kids Chemical Free Cleaning Kit
- Getting Started with Essential Oils for a Healthy Home
If You Liked This Natural Hair Care Recipe, You May Also Like
The One Essential Tool You Need To Keep You and the Kids Happy!
Subscribe to the Rhythms of Play community newsletter to connect with your children, and find the FREEDOM to do the things you LOVE!