If you use fabric softeners and dryer sheets–you may want to try these instead!
One of the main problems with most things in the world today is what you don’t know just might hurt you or your family, and fabric softeners and dryer sheets are guilty as charged. I know, I was shocked, too–and it turns out my mom was right–not something I like to admit.
When I was a kid, I can remember all the other kids smelling fresh and clean in their static-free freshly washed clothes. And, I remember begging my mom to use dryer sheets too. But today I’m here to tell you that there is an older, wiser, and much better way to fluff and soften your laundry–and it’s been around longer than you!
The Problem with Most Fabric Softeners and Dryer Sheets
I don’t want to scare you, but most fabric softeners and dryer sheets contain toxic chemicals. And use them in your laundry. You may be unwittingly contaminating your family with dangerous chemicals because many of these harmful toxins cause cancer and contribute to chronic diseases of the nervous system. What’s even worse is that these chemicals can infiltrate our bodies in two primary ways:
- First, when you breathe in the sweet smell of these toxins as your laundry load dries, dangerous VOC’s are sent straight into your bloodstream via the lungs. Yes, really! Even the unscented versions are guilty as charged–ugh!
- Second, our skin is the largest organ in the body. It has a selectively permeable membrane. That’s a fancy way of saying that it absorbs things that are next to it. When we wear clothes “softened” by these harmful toxins our bodies absorb the chemicals contained in the dryer sheet.
Are you ready to make a lasting change that will make a difference in your family’s health and the environment? I assure you it’s a lot easier than you think.
The Best Eco-Friendly Alternative to Dryer Sheets
Wool dryer balls are the best alternative to the harmful toxins contained in most dryer sheets on the market today. They work by lifting and separating clothes and allowing air to circulate more than it would without them, and thus can reduce drying time by 10-25%.
In other words, wool dryer balls fluff and naturally soften laundry using gentle friction and loft instead of nasty chemicals containing VOCs and other harmful toxins. Now that’s something I can feel good doing for my family and the environment!
Way back in 2015 I received a free four-pack of dryer balls from an excellent eco-friendly company named Eco Nuts to try–and, although I have lost one–I still use them today! They are made out of 100% fully felted wool so that they won’t unravel, and they last for, quite literally, thousands of loads.
So, if you’re ready to say goodbye to those nasty chemical-laden dryer sheets and hello to wool dryer balls, but you concerned that your laundry will no longer smell as good–not to worry–I’ve got that covered too.
How to Use Essential Oils with Wool Dryer Balls
Essential oils and wool dryer balls provide the answer to a clean, fresh-smelling, mood-lifting, static-free, and most importantly–toxin FREE load of laundry. All you need to do is put a few drops of essential oils on your dryer balls, and pop them into the dryer with your wash on low heat (high temperatures can be flammable), to give your laundry a clean and fresh scent–and more!
My families favorite essential oils to use on wool dryer balls in the laundry:
- Lavender – for its cleansing and calming properties.
- Lemon, Orange, or Citrus – for their cleansing and mood-lifting qualities.
- Balsam Fir, Eucalyptus, or tea tree oil – for their mild antimicrobial effects, invigorating aromas, and uncanny ability to get rid of lingering odors.
Feel free to mix and blend essential oils to get the scents that work best for you and your family. One of our favorites essential oil blends for wool dryer balls is Lemon and Lavender, while another is Balsam Fir and Orange.
Essential oils can be found in grocery stores, health food stores, specialty shops, and online. Get everything you need to keep your house clean, the laundry fresh, and the harmful toxins at bay in this set of 12 Organic Essential Oils.
Now, that wasn’t too crunchy, was it? I think it’s even easier than dryer sheets because they last for thousands of loads. I leave the dryer balls in the dryer and my essential oils on the shelf above it. Easy peasy.
Eco-Friendly Laundry Tips for Green Living
What is the one thing that almost everyone has to do regularly? Laundry! The never-ending chore that always seems to be demanding your attention is in the form of overflowing baskets and laundry sorters—green up the wash load with wool dryer balls and essential oils.
I’m sure you will find that ditching dryer sheets for wool dryer balls is one of the easiest decisions you will ever make for the health of your family–and our planet. Thank you for being the change you wish to see in the world. Happy laundering!
More Eco-Friendly Green Living Tips and Ways to Use Essential Oils
- Getting Started with Essential Oils for a Healthy Home
- How to Make Natural Cleaning Products
- DIY Natural Glass Cleaner
- Natural Wood Cleaner and Polish
- 7 Teething Tips to Naturally Sooth Your Baby
- DIY Scented Bath Salts
- Scented Cotton Ball Matching Game
- DIY Leave in Conditioner and Detangling Spray
Photo Credit (Bear on Laundry Basket): Dollar Photo Club by Springfield Gallery