Natural teething remedies can provide teething relief for both infants and their parents. When our babies are in pain we are in pain. Give these baby teething relief tips a try to provide teething relief and soothe your teething baby.
I could not stand to hear my daughter cry out in pain when she was teething, so I turned to natural remedies and teething aids. Below you will find 9 natural teething remedies to soothe your teething baby.
How to Soothe a Teething Baby: Natural Baby Teething Remedies for Parents and Caregivers
Nothing is harder than a teething infant. When we began looking for baby teething remedies to soothe our baby’s pain, we found painkillers and numbing gels of various kids for infants. This seemed like a scary way to provide teething relief for our baby, so we looked for natural teething remedies to try instead.
Our family decided to use natural teething relief ideas to soothe our teething baby. We discovered and tried all of the baby teething remedies listed below. Together these natural teething remedies made it possible to stay away from using chemicals to ease our baby’s pain.
Related: How I Weaned My Toddler
9 Remedies to Soothe Teething Baby Naturally
Breastfeeding is a natural teething remedy that can provide teething relief for your baby. Most babies will want to nurse more often when they are teething. Breastfeeding and skin to skin contact have been shown to relieve pain during medical interventions. Allow your baby to nurse a bit more to relieve their teething pain if you can stand it.
2. Teething Tablets and Teething Drops for Babies
Hyland’s homeopathic teething tablets are homeopathic tablets that dissolve quickly in the mouth are said to produce instant natural teething relief for your baby. Hyland’s tablets contain no artificial flavors, dyes or parabens and are also Benzocaine-free. My daughter loved them!
Whenever she fussed or seemed to be in pain, I would shake the bottle as if to say, “Want some?” Her reply was always a resounding YES! She loved them so much she began to ask for them by name. “Mo teesees.” (Translation: more teethers)
Another easy baby teething remedy available today comes in a liquid form of teething relief for baby. Boiron Camilia Baby Teething Relief Teething Drops are wonderful for soothing painful gums, irritability, and even digestive upset. These teething drops are Benzocaine and Preservative-Free and come in sterile single oral liquid doses.
Our daughter loved Hyland’s teething tablets so much she asked for them by name!
3. Wink Natural Teething Gel
Wink natural teething gel is all-natural and drug-free which makes it one of the safest baby teething remedies for your little teether. Their natural teething remedies are free from preservatives, dyes, fragrances, added artificial flavorings, or unsafe ingredients of any kind.
Benzocaine is used in most other teething products to numb the gums. Even though you want to protect your baby from pain, you never want to numb their mouth because it can cause choking. This natural teething gel is a “cooling” gel for teething babies, not a numbing gel.
Winks baby teething gel can also be used as a gentle toothpaste for babies and toddlers with a banana teething toothbrush!
How to use Wink Natural Teething Gel:
- Store in the fridge and apply a pea-sized amount to soothe gums. Gently massage babies gums to provide fast relief.
- Apply as needed.
- Consult your doctor if condition worsens.
4. Essential Oils
I also looked for help in the book “Gentle Babies Essential Oils and Natural Remedies for Pregnancy, Childbirth, Infants and Young Children” by Debra Raybern to find natural teething remedies. Following is an essential oil teething remedy we tried from her book.
Apply diluted therapeutic essential oils to jawline to soothe teething baby.
- Panaway essential oil diluted 1:10 and applied on jawline [Use 1 drop of Panaway to 10 drops of olive oil or fractionated coconut oil]
- Lavender essential oil diluted 1:10 and applied on jawline [Use 1 drop of Lavender to 10 drops of olive oil or fractionated coconut oil]
5. Miniature Frozen Fruit Popsicles and Ice or Frozen Fruit in a Food Feeder
Mini frozen fruit popsicles and food feeders provide teething relief for baby. My daughter loved to munch on ice chips and frozen fruit in a food feeder to massage her gums and ease her teething discomfort.
We used the Kidsme Food Feeder because we preferred its design to the mesh bag feeders. The silicone made for easy cleaning and it did not retain odors. We also loved that it shut and stayed locked so it was easy to throw into a diaper bag.
6. Organic Teething Wafers
Another food that can be used to soothe teething baby is organic teething wafers. Easily-dissolving teething wafers are the perfect first snack for Baby’s developing gums that can also provide natural soothing relief to inflamed gums due to teething pain.
7. Natural Baby Teething Remedies: Safe Items for Baby to Chew to Soothe Teething Pain
There are also many non-food items that your baby can chew on to provide relief from teething pain. Stay away from plastics if at all possible. Below are several natural teething remedies you can try to soothe your teething baby. Safe items for baby to chew on to soothe teething pain also make great gifts!
- Frozen organic cotton washcloth, organic cloth diaper or terrycloth bib — Get a washcloth or terrycloth bib wet, wring it out, and then place it in the freezer. Make sure that part of it is not wet so baby can hold onto the part that is not frozen. Bibs work great because your baby can wear it and have it nearby when needed. Bibs and bandanas also double as drool protectors.
- Wooden spoon — An old wooden spoon makes a great natural teething remedy and teething toy.
- Silicone necklace – A necklace for a mama that doubles as a teething toy for a baby.
- Silicone teething rings and silicone teething toys — Babies love to chew on silicone teething rings like this rainbow charm teething ring ♥.
- Wooden teethers and wooden teething rings — both are wonderful natural teething toys to soothe teething baby.
- Small organic plush teethers — Get a section of a plush teether wet and place it in the freezer for extra soothing power. You may also like this Organic Plush Wooden Teether or this Organic Rattle Teething Plush Toy
- Silicone toothbrush and Baby Banana Brush Bundle — A great little toothbrush for a baby that also doubles as a teething toy. My daughter loved the banana toothbrush.
8. Baltic Amber Necklace
My husband and I skeptical about whether or not Baltic amber necklaces really worked as a baby teething remedy, but we were willing to try it.
Our daughter wore her Baltic amber teething necklace for about a year and a half. It seemed to have a soothing effect and she never wanted to take it off so we will chalk it up to a worthwhile teething remedy. It sure did look nice on her!
9. Apply a Protective Barrier
Apply a protective barrier to the skin. If your child drools a lot put extra virgin olive oil or fractioned coconut oil on your baby’s chin. This will create a protective barrier to prevent a painful teething rash from developing. Put a bib or baby bandana on your baby for even more protection.
Soothe Teething Baby: Natural Baby Teething Remedies for Parents and Caregivers
We hope you are able to find teething tips on this list that will work to naturally soothe your baby. My husband and I wish I would have had this list of natural teething remedies like this when my daughter started teething!
Always talk to your pediatrician before trying any of these baby teething remedies and teething relief ideas.
You may also like eco-friendly baby toys that naturally boost development.
Learn more about Rhythms of Play HERE!
If You Liked Natural Teething Remedies for Babies, You May Also Like
- Best Parenting Books For Raising Children Zero to Five
- How I Weaned My Toddler
- 20 Ways to Detoxify Your Home
- How to Raise a Helper
Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent pain or any disease. The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. I am just a mom sharing what works for me. Please confirm any information obtained from or through this website with other sources, and review all information regarding any medical condition or treatment with your physician. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking medical treatment because of something you have read on this website.
The One Essential Tool You Need To Keep You and the Kids Happy!
Subscribe to the Rhythms of Play community newsletter to connect with your children, and find the FREEDOM to do the things you LOVE!