Learning how to make chicken stock is easy, economical, and eco-friendly! This homemade chicken stock recipe can also be used to make homemade turkey stock. Use a fresh whole chicken or turkey, chicken bones, or a leftover turkey carcass to make this homemade poultry stock recipe. Store homemade stock in the freezer to use to make broth for soup and more!
Bone broths like turkey or chicken stock are incredibly nourishing and have many uses. Chicken stock also helps support the immune system.
Homemade stocks and broths provide nutrients and minerals in a form that is easy for the body to assimilate. There’s nothing like a nice warm bowl of chicken soup when you’re not feeling well… Grandma knew!
Related: How to Make Pumpkin Puree the Easy Way!
Related: Homemade Lasagna Recipe
How to Make Turkey Stock or Chicken Stock
Use a whole chicken or a whole turkey to make stock, or use the leftovers from several chickens or turkey parts to make this super easy homemade poultry stock recipe.
When using leftovers, It is important to add only chicken or turkey that has been cooked in a crockpot or oven roasted. Fried or barbecued leftovers will not work. Store leftover chicken meat and bones in the freezer until you have enough saved to make a big pot of chicken or turkey stock.
An easy way to cook homemade chicken stock and save money is to cook whole a chicken in a crockpot to serve for dinner. After dinner place the leftover chicken bones and leftover meat into a stockpot to make this homemade chicken stock recipe.
Using leftovers to make homemade chicken stock is a great way to cut down on expenses and waste! Win/win!
Related: 20 Thanksgiving Traditions and Fun Things to do on Thanksgiving
Ingredients for Turkey or Chicken Stock
- 1 whole chicken or chicken parts (fresh or leftover)
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar (this helps draw the minerals out of the bones)
- Neck & gizzards (optional)
- Chicken feet (optional–they add lots of extra nutrients to the stock)
- Filtered water
- 1 onion cut into large chunks (optional)
- 1-2 carrots peeled and cut into large chunks (optional)
- 2-3 celery sticks cut into large chunks (optional)
Related: Homemade Pumpkin Cranberry Bread Recipe
Homemade Poultry Stock Cooking Supplies:
Related: How to Make the Best Tasting Green Smoothie Ever!
How to Make Turkey Stock or Chicken Stock Step by Step Directions
1. If using a fresh whole chicken remove neck and gizzards, cut off legs and wings, and cut the chicken into smaller pieces.
2. Place fresh chicken parts, leftover chicken bones, or leftover turkey carcass into a stock pot.
3. Add vegetables. (optional)
4. Add apple cider vinegar. (This helps draw the minerals out of the bones.)
5. Fill with water to cover the contents of the pot and allow to rest for 30 – 60 minutes.
6. Bring to a boil. Skim foam off of the top and discard. (Impurities often rise to the top with the foam.)
7. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 8 – 24 hours. (The longer you cook it the more nutritious and flavorful your homemade chicken stock will be.)
8. Turn off heat and allow homemade poultry stock to cool.
Store Homemade Poultry Stock in Canning Jars
Once the chicken or turkey stock has had a chance to cool store homemade poultry stock in 16 oz wide-mouth canning jars.
Place a large pasta insert into another stock pot or large bowl. Dump the chicken bones or turkey carcass into the pasta insert to separate the poultry stock from the leftover skin, meat, and bones. Allow homemade chicken or turkey stock to drain for a few minutes before removing the pasta insert from the stock pot or large bowl.
Skim the fat off the top of your homemade poultry stock. Ladle the stock into 16 oz wide-mouth canning or jelly jars. If you will be freezing the stock, leave about an inch of room at the top of each jar to allow for expansion, otherwise, the glass may shatter and break.
Store homemade turkey or chicken stock the refrigerator or freeze until ready to use. Homemade turkey or chicken stock can be made into a broth for soups and so much more!
Easy Homemade Stock Recipe for Chicken or Turkey
We hope you enjoy this easy homemade poultry stock recipe. Making homemade chicken stock is an easy, economical, and eco-friendly. It is also a wonderful way to support the health of your family.
Add homemade chicken or turkey stock to all sorts of soups and dishes. Cooking rice in chicken stock adds lots of nutrients and makes it taste so good!
We also like to make homemade chicken noodle soup using chicken stock. You can find the recipe in YUM! Deliciously Healthy Recipes for Kids.
Learn more about Rhythms of Play HERE!
Leave a Comment