This DIY rustic woodburning keepsake gift idea is super simple to make even if you have never tried using a wood burning pen before.
If you can trace, you can do this project.
It makes a fun and easy gift idea for Valentine’s Day, weddings, and is perfect for the five-year wedding anniversary which is traditionally made of wood.
You may also like DIY Keepsake Gifts for Him or Her.
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. I earn a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for choosing to support this blog!
DIY Rustic Woodburning Keepsake Gift Idea
I have provided a free printable template that you are welcome to burn on any piece of wood to use non-commercially.
DIY Rustic Woodburning Keepsake Gift Idea Materials
- 12X5 inch plaque or Basswood Round, Extra Large (This link leads to all sizes – medium would be large enough)
- Light sandpaper or Sanding Foam Block
- Painter’s Tape
- Graphite Paper
- Woodburner Pen
- Artist Paint Brushes
- Red Acrylic Paint
- Wood Polish or Mod Podge [to seal and protect]
DIY Rustic Woodburning Keepsake Gift Idea Directions
1. Lightly sand the piece of wood you will be using.
2. Print out the free template You+Me=Love
3. Cut out the “You+Me=Love” design making sure to leave 1/2 to 1 inch of paper around the design.
4. Tape graphite paper to wood about the same size as your printable cutout. (See process photo collage below.)
5. Tape design to wood on top of graphite paper–use a ruler to center it.
6. Trace the outline of the design onto the wood using a pencil by pressing hard enough to cause the graphite to transfer to the wood. Make sure to trace each part of the pattern. [Use a colored pencil if you have one to see where you have traced so you don’t have any blank spaces in the pattern once you take it off.] Because this in an engraved font, I traced the outline of each letter and lightly shaded in the dark areas to make it easier to know exactly what to burn.
7. Remove graphite paper and design. Double check that the entire pattern is transferred before you take off the design.
8. Burn pattern into the wood by tracing the design with a woodburning pen. [Practice first if you’ve never used one–they are pretty simple to get the hang of in a short time.]
9. Paint heart red. You can re-burn the pattern after you paint if you make any minor mistakes.
10. Seal, protect and beautify with beeswax wood polish or Mod Podge.
This DIY rustic woodburning keepsake gift idea is perfect for the special someone in your life.
It makes a lovely gift for Valentine’s day, weddings, and anniversaries. It would also be perfect for the five-year wedding anniversary which is traditionally made of wood.
You may also like:
- DIY Heart with Celtic Knot Keepsake Box
- Valentine Almond Heart Cookies
- Most Popular Posts of 2015
- Top 10 Crafts of 2015
- YUM! Deliciously Healthy Recipes for Kids
- Green Crafty and Creative
The One Essential Tool You Need To Get Organized For Good!
Join the Rhythms of Play community to get organized, connect with your kids, and find the FREEDOM to do the things you LOVE!
Latest posts by nell (see all)
- DIY Monarch Butterfly Peg Dolls - May 16, 2017
- DIY Father’s Day Personalized Candle Holder Gift Idea - May 11, 2017
- Fun Ways to Celebrate the Summer Solstice - May 10, 2017