This is my personal adaptation of my family’s almond crescent recipe, a classic that has been passed down in my family for 4 generations that I know of — and I’m sure it goes back further than that. These are my dad’s absolute favorite cookies, and are always around my house during the holidays.
I started putting a little red food coloring in my family recipe and shaping the dough into hearts instead of crescents when I was trying to win the affections of someone long ago. Everyone knows the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach, and these are divine little heart-shaped melt in your mouth nuggets of pure mouth-watering bliss! I knew I had a winner the first time I tried these — my father is hands down the most finicky eater I have ever known — and if they won his heart I knew they would win anyone’s heart. I was right… these work every time! Go ahead, give them a try to find out for yourself — but be warned 🙂
Valentine Almond Heart Cookies
You will need:
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups flour (sift before measure)
- 1 cup ground almond (fresh ground are best)
- A few cups of powdered sugar
- 1 tsp red food coloring or natural alternative
- Add all ingredients to bowl except food coloring.
- Work like pie crust.
- Add red food coloring and mix in.
- Roll into ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Place in fridge for at least an hour — overnight is better.
- Take out of refrigerator and pre-heat oven to 325 degrees F
- Use a tablespoon to scoop out dough. Shape into hearts. Its easier if you work each tablespoon of dough like clay first before you shape it. I like to work over a small bowl because the dough can be crumbly before its warmed by your hands.
- Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 12 – 17 minutes
- While the cookies are in the oven prepare a plate with a layer of powdered sugar on it.
- When cookies are done arrange them in the powdered sugar in layers while they are still hot–be careful not to burn your fingers! Powdered sugar, cookies, powdered sugar, cookies…
Give with love and enjoy!
The One Essential Tool You Need To Get Organized For Good!
Join the Rhythms of Play community to get organized, connect with your kids, and find the FREEDOM to do the things you LOVE!