I come from a long line of tree huggers. There are three generations pictured in this post. Above is my daughter, below my mother and I. I don’t know why “tree hugger” is such a derogatory term. I used to have a lot of trouble admitting that I was a tree hugger. I still don’t like the way it sounds — but I am proud of what it stands for. I love the natural world and I do my best to make eco-friendly choices more often than not. I fell in love with my husband when I found out his secret. Shh… don’t tell anyone — but he’s a tree hugger too 🙂
At left, my mom hugging a tree when she was a girl in Illinois. At right, me hugging a tree in Vancouver, BC.
My husband and I hugging a redwood in Northern California
Get Outside & Connect Activity Week # 7: Hug a Tree
This weeks activity is to hug a tree. You’d be surprised how much kids love to do this. They have so much fun giggling running from tree to tree. This may be due to my own enthusiasm. Monkey see — monkey do!
Have you actually ever hugged a tree? If not, this is your golden opportunity. Don’t worry… I won’t tell anyone. Nor will I point and laugh. Give it a try, no one has to know if you don’t want them to. Take a picture if your up for it. Pictures of people hugging trees are always display worthy.
Go ahead… Try it. I promise you won’t be disappointed. You can choose any tree you want and hug it once, or choose a whole forest and go to town. Up to you.
- Hugging and touching tree’s and their parts provides a rich sensory experience for children.
- Identify and talk about the different parts of a tree.
- Identify and talk about different types of trees that live in your area.
- Identify and talk about different creatures that live in and around trees.
Carolyn over @ The Pleasantest Thing told me that they like to see how many hugs it takes to fit around a tree! What a great idea — thanks Carolyn!
Let me know if you have another variation and I’ll add it 🙂
I hope you have been getting outside everyday and connecting with what matters! See you outside!
Latest posts by nell (see all)
- Mom Hats for Messy Hair Don’t Care Days - March 20, 2017
- DIY Mother’s Day Personalized Votive Candle Holder Gift Idea - March 15, 2017
- Super Cool T-Shirts Perfect for Dad - March 9, 2017