Children and adults will love this home-baked healthier alternative to french fries–make some homemade baked fries with this kid-friendly recipe today!
Home-baked french fries are delicious, easy to make, and a fun kid-friendly food the whole family is sure to love. And, even better, these homemade fries only take about twenty-five minutes to prepare from start to finish. My family is so addicted to this baked french fry recipe that I make them as a side dish for dinner about once a week. And, I sprinkle fresh rosemary right out of our garden on them before baking to make them even more–mm-mmm–good!
Home-Baked French Fry Recipe Ingredients
Use the following ingredients to make healthy homemade french fries the whole family will LOVE!
- 3-4 russet potatoes
- 1/8 – 1/4 c olive oil
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 – 1/2 tsp pepper (most children don’t like it too peppery!)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder (optional, but super tasty, and kids LOVE it!)
- 1/8 – 1/4 c fresh or dried crushed rosemary (optional, but too good to miss!)
- dash of paprika (optional-this can be too spicy for some kids)
I always throw the oil and seasonings into the mix without measuring them–so these measurements are approximate. Season to your family’s liking, and you can’t go wrong.
Other Kitchen Supplies Needed to make Homemade French Fries
How to Make Baked French Fries
Follow the step-by-step instructions below to make home-baked fries so good your family will cheer for more!
1. Preheat Oven
Before you get started, preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Peel Potatoes
Use a potato peeler to peel each potato. Although the skin can also be left on, my family likes them better when I peel them. But, if you are in a hurry–forget peeling, cut, and go!
3. Cut Potatoes into fries
Next, cut each potato into french fries whether you peel them or not.
- First, cut each potato into four slices,
- Next, turn the potato a 1/4 turn and cut 4 more slices to produce nice long fries.
- Finally, cut the pieces that are too big in half lengthwise.
4. Add Seasonings and Mix
- In a large bowl add the cut potatoes, olive oil, and seasonings (salt, pepper, garlic powder, rosemary, etc.)
- Gently toss the cut potatoes with the oil and seasonings and mix well. (photo below)
5. Grease Cookie Sheet or Baking Pan
- If you are using a non-stick pan as I recommend (non-stick pans are toxic) grease the cookie sheet with a little more olive oil.
- Home-baked fries are likely to stick to the pan when it is not greased–and stuck fries don’t turn out that well– because it’s hard to enjoy something that you can’t even put on your plate–lol!
6. Put French fries on a Baking Sheet or Cookie Tray
- Place the cut potatoes on a cookie sheet or baking tray.
- Home-baked fries cook best when they are all touching the pan–do your best to spread them out–use more than one baking pan if necessary. (photo below)
7. Bake Homemade French Fries
- Bake the french fries at 450 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes.
- Flip fries with a spatula and bake for another 10 minutes–or until crisp and golden. (photo below)
8. Serve Home-Baked Fries as a Side Dish and Enjoy!
Serve and enjoy homemade french fries with any side dish fitting of crispy potatoes, and you will have the whole family begging for more!
Healthy Homemade French Fries
The whole family is sure to love this healthy alternative to french fries–make some today!
You may also like our green smoothie recipe–it makes it easy for children to eat their vegetables.
And, learn more about Rhythms of Play—> HERE.