Learn how to make beaded snowflake ornaments with our step-by-step video tutorial! (First published December 7, 2017; this post is updated and republished to improve the content.)
Add a touch of magic to your Christmas tree with a few sparkling beaded snowflake ornaments! Beaded snowflakes are fun snowflake crafts that kids and adults can make for Christmas and other winter holidays, such as Hanukkah or Yule (winter solstice). DIY beaded snowflake ornaments look beautiful on the Yule or Christmas tree. Beaded snowflake crafts also look festive hanging on a white twig tree. Snowflakes made with beads also make gorgeous suncatchers hanging in a sunlit window. Hand-beaded snowflakes sparkle and shine beautifully in the light. You might also enjoy this list of gorgeous DIY Christmas ornaments that kids can make.
Related: Fun Family Christmas Traditions
DIY Beaded Christmas Snowflake Ornaments
As a child, beading and jewelry making was my favorite hobby. It is a creative pastime that I LOVE to share with my daughter today. Learning to make beaded snowflake ornaments is an easy Christmas craft for kids, teens, and adults.
You only need a few snowflake craft supplies and the desire to create gorgeous beaded patterns! Add a touch of sparkle to your festive holiday decor this season with these beautiful beaded Christmas snowflake ornaments.
Follow the simple step-by-step instructions below to learn how to make this simple DIY wire bead snowflake ornament craft. It’s a Christmas craft that both children and adults will enjoy! Read how to start and finish a beaded necklace or bracelet for more information about beaded crafts and jewelry making.
Related: DIY Christmas Ornaments
Wire Bead Snowflake Ornament Craft Supplies
- Wire snowflake forms – We used a 3 3/4 inch wire snowflake form, but a star wireframe that is a bit larger also works well.
- Round nose pliers – inexpensive option or professional option
- Ribbon or monofilament line (fishing string)
- Swarovski crystals beads (Use beads sized 2mm to 8mm for smaller wire snowflake forms, and 2mm to 12mm beads for bigger snowflakes)
- Faceted (cut) glass beads
What are the Best Beads for Making Beaded Snowflake Ornaments?
Swarovski crystal beads make the most amazing beaded snowflake crafts for Christmas or the winter solstice. Of course, Faceted (cut) glass, or even plastic beads, can work to make bead snowflake Christmas ornaments on wire snowflake forms (and look very pretty), but crystals give that extra bit of sparkle that shines!
As mentioned in the supply section, 2mm to 8mm beads are best for the smaller wire snowflake forms. In contrast, larger beads, 2mm to 12mm, can be used on larger wire snowflake forms. There are lots of Christmas snowflake ornament beading options to make these crafts available today.
Use leftover beads to create beaded necklaces and bracelets to give as gifts. In my experience, children love beading, and it helps their hands become strong and supple. Remember, “nimble fingers make nimble minds.” Learn how to turn leftover beads into beautiful DIY necklaces HERE–> How to Make Beaded Jewelry.
Related: Clay Snowman Ornament
How to Make Beaded Snowflake Ornaments: Step-by-Step DIY Instructions
Learn how to make beaded snowflake ornaments with the step-by-step directions below. Both children and adults can enjoy this snowflake craft. In the next section, you can “see” how to complete each step in the handmade beaded snowflake video tutorial. Please read through the instructions and watch the video before starting this Christmas craft so you know the steps involved and what to expect.
1. Plan a hand-beaded pattern for each snowflake ornament craft.
- Choose a simple bead pattern for each wire bead snowflake ornament.
- Like real snowflakes, an infinite number of beaded patterns are possible for this snowflake craft.
- This post’s photographs and video tutorial show several beaded pattern options you can try.
- Play around with different patterns of beads and colors before making DIY snowflake ornaments.
2. Put beads onto the wire snowflake form.
- Using the beaded pattern planned in Step 1, place the crystal beads onto the wire snowflake bead ornament craft form one arm at a time.
- Leave 1/2 to three-quarters of an inch of space at the end of each wire arm.
3. Close each end of each snowflake art with round nose pliers.
- After each beaded snowflake arm is complete, use round nose pliers to turn the wire’s end toward the last bead to close the loop.
- First, grab the tip of the wire form with round-nose pliers.
- Then turn it clockwise 1/4 turn.
- Readjust your grip and turn another 1/4 inch to complete the loop. (This critical step is shown in the video below)
- Repeat until each arm of the wire bead snowflake ornament is closed and complete.
- First, grab the tip of the wire form with round-nose pliers.
4. Add a hanger to each DIY snowflake ornament.
- First, cut a piece of ribbon or monofilament line four to eight inches long.
- Next, tie it to the loop of one arm of each snowflake craft to make the hanger for the ornament.
- Finally, hang your homemade beaded snowflake ornaments on the Christmas Tree, Winter Solstice Tree, or a sunlit window. Or give them to family and friends as a gift! Snowflake ornaments are a great gift idea.
5. Repete the steps above to make more snowflake ornament crafts.
- Repeat steps one through four as needed.
- In other words, make as many snowflake crafts as you want with these instructions and the video tutorial below.
Related: Rhinestone Pinecone Ornaments
How to Make Beaded Snowflakes Step-by-Step Video Tutorial
This snowflake craft is for making beaded snowflake ornaments to adorn your Christmas Tree. However, sparkling snowflake ornaments also make lovely suncatchers hanging in a sunlit window and look just as nice hanging on the wall. Snowflake ornaments can also be made into a gorgeous winter mobile with a piece of driftwood, a bare branch, or an embroidery hoop. Watch the step-by-step DIY video tutorial to see how easy it is to make beaded snowflake ornaments. This wire bead ornament craft can help you make snowflake craft Christmas decorations to adorn your Christmas tree!
Related: Rustic Acorn Marble Ornaments
Easy Homemade Beaded Snowflake Christmas Ornament Kits
- Beaded snowflake ornaments for kids
- Christmas beaded snowflake ornament kit
- Holiday beaded snowflake ornament kit
- Christmas snowflake beaded ornament kit
Handmade Beaded DIY Snowflake Ornaments
Make some sparkling snowflake ornament Christmas decorations to add a little bling to your Christmas tree this year. This beaded snowflake craft is a fun way to connect with the kids over the holiday break.
Learn more about Rhythms of Play HERE!
If You Liked DIY Beaded Snowflake Ornaments, You Might Also Like:
- Christmas Ornaments Kids Can Make
- Beaded Name Necklace Literacy Activity for Kids
- Ultimate Family Gift Guide: DIY and Readymade Ideas
- Best Christmas Art Project Ideas
- Christmas Traditions and Celebration Ideas
More DIY Christmas Ornament Crafts
- Angel Ornaments
- Rustic Acorn Marble Ornaments
- Rhinestone Pinecone Ornaments
- Clay Snowman Ornament Crafts
- Baby Jesus Ornament
- Snowman Head Ornaments
- Elf Ornaments
- Twig Christmas Tree Ornaments