Creating and decorating a DIY thankful tree with marbled clay gratitude leaves is a Thanksgiving craft that kids and adults can make together.
Learn how to make a thankful tree with bare branches and clay gratitude leaves to remind family and friends of the true meaning of Thanksgiving. Gratitude brings abundance. When we are grateful for what we have, we will be given more of what we are grateful for.
Related: Thanksgiving Thankful Tree Tradition
How to Make a Thanksgiving Thankful Tree with Clay Gratitude Leaves
Creating a DIY thankful tree is a Thanksgiving tradition the whole family can enjoy. Cultivate an attitude of gratitude in your home or classroom with a bare branch tree that your family can decorate with hand-stamped or hand-written marbled clay gratitude leaves.
Next, make marbled clay leaves that can be made into hand-stamped gratitude leaves before baking. Or, invite family and friends to use a white paint pen to write words of gratitude onto the clay leaves.
A Thanksgiving thankful tree also makes lovely fall home decor and a gorgeous centerpiece for your Thanksgiving table. Scroll down to see the craft list and step by step tutorial.
Learn more about the thankful tree tradition in this collection of the best thankful trees.
Thankful Tree Craft Materials
- Sand and/or pebbles
- Bare branches – go on a nature hunt, or purchase a white twig tree, standing lighted birch tree, or a tabletop tree with lighted branches.
- Clay gratitude leaves – You can also use preserved leaves or fabric leaves.
- Yarn or twine
DIY Thankful Tree Step by Step Directions
- Paint bare branches white (optional)
- Arrange bare branches in a vase.
- Pour sand and/or pebbles around the branches to add weight to the vase so that it stands upright.
- Use a glue gun to stick pom poms on the tree. (optional – have a look at this thankful tree with pom poms)
- Make marbled clay gratitude leaves to decorate the thankful tree.
- Thread a 4 inch to 6-inch section of yarn or twine through the hole in each clay gratitude leaf to make ornament hangers.
- Decorate the bare branches of the DIY thankful tree with marbled clay gratitude leaves.
Related: Turkey Leaf Lanterns
Thanksgiving Thankful Tree Tradition
Creating and decorating a thankful tree is a Thanksgiving tradition that can help cultivate an attitude of gratitude during the holidays. Have a look at 20 Thanksgiving traditions and fun things to do on Thanksgiving for even more ideas!
You might also like to have a look at this round-up of 40 Thanksgiving gratitude activities and crafts.
Another great way to teach kids about the true meaning of Thanksgiving is to read gratitude books that inspire thankfulness with your children. For even more fall fun have a look at our fall bucket list for the best autumn ever!
Learn more about Rhythms of Play HERE!
More Fun Ideas
- Simple DIY Butterfly Centerpiece
- How to Make an Easter Tree
- Christmas Ornaments Kids Can Make
- Healthy Homemade Pumpkin Cranberry Bread
The One Essential Tool You Need To Keep You and the Kids Happy!
Subscribe to the Rhythms of Play community newsletter to connect with your children, and find the FREEDOM to do the things you LOVE!