If you love making trash into a treasure as much as I do you will love this simple upcycled craft. My daughter and I make these upcycled birdhouse ornaments using recycled cardboard from toilet paper rolls and a cardboard box.
As my daughter and I decorated our Spring Easter Tree I found myself wanting to make something else to hang on it. I began to imagine little hanging bird houses adorning the tree when inspiration struck! Cardboard tubes would be perfect… and easy!
This post contains affiliate links to supplies for your convenience. Thank you for choosing to support this blog!
Upcycled Birdhouse Ornaments
Making these upcycled birdhouse ornaments is fun for kids and adults alike. Older kids will be able to make these on their own from start to finish while the little one’s will need your assistance.
Upcycled Birdhouse Ornaments Materials
- Cardboard toilet paper tubes
- Thin cardboard box (Cereal, crackers, bars, etc.)
- Glue gun and glue sticks
- Acrylic paint
- Yarn or embroidery thread
- 1/2″ Circle Hole Punch
Upcycled Birdhouse Ornaments Directions
1. Cut toilet paper rolls in half. We used three to make 6 birdhouses.
2. Use 1/2 inch circle hole punch to make a hole in each half toilet paper tube. Place the hole about 1/2 inch from one side of the cardboard tube. Alternatively, you can use a single hole punch multiple times to make a hole approximately 1/2 inch.
3. Cut a thin cardboard box open. Use a compass to create circles 5 inches in diameter on the inside of the box. Cut cardboard circles in half. Each 1/2 circle becomes a roof for a birdhouse.
4. Paint tubes and half circles. My 3 year old daughter used 6 colors. She painted one house (1/2 tube) and one roof (1/2 circle) in each color. Allow to dry.
5. Cut small sections (about 4-6 inches) of yarn or embroidery thread. Tie the ends together to make small loops. don’t worry about trimming off the excess.
6. Roll each half circle into a roof shape. Don’t glue them yet! Allow them to unroll and use your glue gun to place a dab of glue in the middle of the roof. Place the yarn loop knot into the glue with the loop extending out the top.
7. Roll the half circle into a roof shape again. Use glue gun to place a line of glue about 1/4 inch from the edge of the circle. Fold over and press down to glue together.
8. Use glue gun to place a line of glue about 1/4 inch from the inside edge of the roof. Place tube into the glue to make a birdhouse.
My daughter and I had a wonderful time making these upcycled birdhouse ornaments together. They are perfect for decorating Easter tree’s and would also make a lovely spring garland. We hope you enjoy making trash into a treasure as much as we do!
You May Also Like
- How to Make an Easter Tree
- Eco-Friendly Easter Baskets Tips and Ideas
- 15 Ways to Celebrate the Spring Solstice
Latest posts by nell (see all)
- Mom Hats for Messy Hair Don’t Care Days - March 20, 2017
- DIY Mother’s Day Personalized Votive Candle Holder Gift Idea - March 15, 2017
- Super Cool T-Shirts Perfect for Dad - March 9, 2017