Signs of Summer Scavenger Hunt
May is the time of year when some signs that summer is on the way begin to appear. Although summer won’t technically arrive until the solstice on June 21st, you can find clues that summer is not far. Some clues are hard to miss while others will require a keen eye.
This post is a part of the Get Outside & Connect Series. Click on the link to learn more about it.
Signs of Summer Scavenger Hunt
The signs of summer can be harder to notice than the signs of spring. It’s a lot easier to notice snow melting and new shoots appearing than the more subtle signs of summer. As you begin to pay attention you and your kids will easily notice changes happening in your surroundings.
It’s fun searching for signs of summer. Kids really get into it when they know what they are looking for. Teaching kids to pay more attention to their surroundings provides a great lesson in seasonal changes great for homeschoolers and traditional schoolers alike.
Signs of Summer Scavenger Hunt Directions
Some signs of summer will be slightly different depending on where you live, while others are universal. Over these next few weeks begin to pay attention to your surroundings and search for some of the following signs that summer is on the way:
- A bee visiting a flower
- A butterfly on a flower cluster
- Leaves bigger than your hand
- Crickets chirping
- A spider sitting in its web
- A plant other than a tree that is taller than you
- Baby animals
- The smell of blooming flowers
- People spending more time outdoors than indoors
- Sunbathers at pools and shores
- Birds flying back to their primary habitats
- Monsoons or tropical cyclones
- Mosquitos buzzing about
- Faster growing plants
- Dragonflies appear
- Humidity increases
- Milkweed in bloom
Don’t forget to record your observations and experiences in your nature journals!
Know of any other signs of summer that I missed? Please add them in the comments below. Also feel free to comment on the signs of summer that you and your kids find. I’d love to hear all about it.
Searching for signs of summer is a fun and educational science activity to do with kids.
Even though the solstice is still a few weeks away summer is starting to show up all around us. I’m sure you are beginning to see a lot more signs that the summer is near than I have listed above.
So tell me… what signs of summer have you noticed?
You May Also Like
- Ways to Celebrate the Summer Solstice
- Summer Nature Table
- Search for Signs of Autumn
- Search for Signs of Winter
- Search for Signs of Spring
For more fun ideas follow me on Facebook & Pinterest!
Subscribe to our mailing list so you don’t miss anything!
The One Essential Tool You Need To Get Organized For Good!
Join the Rhythms of Play community to get organized, connect with your kids, and find the FREEDOM to do the things you LOVE!
Latest posts by nell (see all)
- DIY Monarch Butterfly Peg Dolls - May 16, 2017
- DIY Father’s Day Personalized Candle Holder Gift Idea - May 11, 2017
- Fun Ways to Celebrate the Summer Solstice - May 10, 2017