Searching for signs of Spring is a fun and educational STEAM activity to do with kids. Even though the spring solstice is still a few weeks away, if you look carefully you can begin to see signs of spring appearing.
As the sun begins to lean closer to the sun the cold days of winter give way to warmer temperatures. It’s a great time to get outside and enjoy nature’s seasonal sights. You may also be interested in Ways to Celebrate the Spring Equinox.
When the northern hemisphere welcomes the spring, the southern hemisphere welcomes the fall. If you live in the southern hemisphere check out Search for Signs of Autumn or Ways to Celebrate the Fall Autumnal Equinox.
Search for Signs of Spring
Searching for signs of Spring is a fun and educational STEAM activity to do with kids. My daughter and I like to point out the signs we see, hear, smell, and feel like it’s a scavenger hunt on our daily walks.
I find that it is a great way to teach my daughter about the seasons and their differences while having fun. It’s become a game that we like to play when the seasons begin to change.
Below I have provided a list of some of the common signs that spring is approaching. There are many more signs than I have listed here. Different areas can have different signs based on where you live.
Please feel free to add anything that I’ve missed in the comments below. I’d love to hear all about the signs that you are noticing appearing around YOU.
You may also be interested in Celebrate the Spring Solstice.
Signs of Spring:
Weather and the sun:
- The temperatures slowly begin to warm.
- The air begins to feel warmer even at night and in the early morning hours.
- The air begins to smell fresh and new.
- The angle of the sun in the sky changes.
- The light of day begins to brighten – the strength and quality of light changes.
- The days get noticeably longer as the nights get shorter.
- Snow melts.
- Spring showers and rainbows may appear.
- Flower bulbs spring up from the earth; daffodil, iris, crocus, etc.
- Dandelions and other weeds begin to sprout.
- Leaf and flower buds begin to appear on once bare winter branches.
- Spring colors can be seen as plants and flowers come back to life.
- The lawn needs to be mowed more often.
Animals and Insects:
- Our pets begin to shed and lose their winter coats.
- Songbirds can be heard singing their melodies.
- Birds begin their migration north (geese, ducks, swallows, hawks, etc.)
- Woodpeckers knocking.
- Worms begin to appear from the earth.
- Invertebrates such as butterflies and ladybugs begin to appear.
- Mosquitos can be found buzzing around.
- Mammals that hibernate for the winter such as bears and hedgehogs can be found coming out of their dens in search of food after a long winter’s rest.
Other Random Signs:
- More people can be seen outdoors.
- Spring decor begins to appear
- Stores sell flowers and seeds to plant.
- Saint Patricks Day and Eater Decorations can be found.
- People dress in less clothing.
- Garden catalogues start showing up in the mail.
- Neighbors plant flowers and start their gardens.
- You can hear your neighbors mowing the lawn.
- BBQ season begins.
- Baseball and soccer season starts.
Searching for signs of Spring is a fun and educational STEAM activity to do with kids. Even though the solstice is still a few weeks away spring is starting to show up all around us. I’m sure you are beginning to see a lot more signs that the spring is near than I have listed above. So tell me… what signs of spring have you noticed?
You May Also Like
- Ways to Celebrate the Spring Solstice
- Planting Spring Flowers
- Spring Nature Table
- Spring Books for Kids
- Search for Signs of Autumn
- Search for Signs of Winter
- Search for Signs of Summer
For more fun ideas follow me on Facebook & Pinterest!
Subscribe to our mailing list so you don’t miss anything!
Latest posts by nell (see all)
- Flower Arranging Montessori Practical Life Activity for Kids - February 25, 2017
- DIY Rainbow Ribbon Fairy Wands for Kids - February 23, 2017
- Lucky Four Leaf Clover Nature Collage - February 22, 2017