A salt dough hand and foot heart keepsake is a fun craft to make with the kids.
Handmade keepsakes using hand and foot prints are always a hit with parents and grandparents.
Cute ideas like this make a great gift idea for Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Christmas or any other special occasion.
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. Thank you for choosing to support this website!
Salt Dough Hand and Foot Heart Keepsake
I got the idea to do this project after I saw these adorable hand and foot salt dough pumpkin keepsakes on Parker’s Mommy! After I saw it, I decided to make this salt dough hand and foot heart keepsake using my own salt dough recipe.
Salt Dough Hand and Foot Heart Keepsake Materials
- Hot water
- Measuring Cups
- Mixing Bowl
- Mixing Spoon
- Cookie Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- Cooling Rack
- Straw or Chopstick (optional)
- Acrylic Paint
- Paint Brushes
- Mod Podge
- Old towel
- Your child’s hand and foot
Salt Dough Recipe
The recipe below was enough to make the two large hearts like the one’s pictured above with a little left over to make another small cookie cutter heart.
- 4 cups flour
- 2 cups salt
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups of water
Salt Dough Hand and Foot Heart Keepsake Directions
1. Mix salt and flour in a mixing bowl.
2. Slowly add hot water. (You may not need it all.)
3. Mix together and knead until it is the consistency of play dough.
4. Place parchment paper on cookie sheet.
5. Use salt dough to form 2 large hearts right on the parchment paper and cookie sheet. (Kids love to help with this.)
6. Lay an old towel down on the floor and place the cookie sheet with hearts on it. Have your child sit on the towel on the floor facing the cookie sheet so you can help make the footprint in the salt dough heart. Repeat as needed. (Tip: dip your child’s foot and hand in flour first to make sure it doesn’t stick when you press it into the salt dough)
7. Use opposite hand to make handprints. If you used the right foot use the left hand. If you used the left foot use the right hand.
8. (Optional) Use a straw or chopstick to create a single hole in the middle of the heart in order to hang it.
9. Allow hand and foot hearts to air dry overnight.
10. Bake at 200 F for about 3 hours in the oven. Take them out if they start to brown. They may need a bit longer than 3 hours depending on their size and thickness.
11. Place on cooling rack and allow them to cool and sit overnight.
12. Paint hearts color(s) of choice. Make sure they are completely dry. I had my 3-year-old daughter paint the hearts. After allowing them to dry, I painted the hand and footprints. I think they turned out beautifully don’t you?
13. Don’t forget to write your child name and date on the front or back along with any personal message or poem that you would like to include.
Handmade gifts are always a hit with friends and family. Salt dough hand and foot heart keepsake makes a great gift idea for Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Christmas, birthday’s or any other occasion. Don’t forget to make one to keep for yourself!
You may also like:
- Slow Falling Heart Sensory Bottle
- Valentine Watercolor Word Hunt
- Heart Prism & Pony Bead Suncatcher
- You + Me = Love DIY Keepsake Gift
- DIY Heart with Celtic Knot Keepsake Box
- Valentine Almond Heart Cookies
Latest posts by nell (see all)
- Mom Hats for Messy Hair Don’t Care Days - March 20, 2017
- DIY Mother’s Day Personalized Votive Candle Holder Gift Idea - March 15, 2017
- Super Cool T-Shirts Perfect for Dad - March 9, 2017