This heart with Celtic knot is an easy and fun craft to make for a loved one for Valentine’s Day, an anniversary, or any other special occasion. It would be especially appropriate for the five-year wedding anniversary which is traditionally made of wood.
This design does not have to be on a box. I have provided a free printable pattern that you are welcome to burn onto any piece of wood.
The colors you choose to use are also up to you. If you have a nice piece of wood it can be lovely to leave the wood showing as one of the color options. If not pick two complementary colors that you like. I used a metallic gold and red–but have also done it in denim blue with a red heart which was equally beautiful.
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. I earn a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for choosing to support this blog!
Heart with Celtic Knot Woodburn Tutorial
- Wood Hinged Memory Box or other wooden item large enough for the design.
- Fine Sanding Sponge
- Painter’s Tape
- Graphite Paper
- Woodburning Pen
- Brush Set
- Red Acrylic Paint
- Gold Acrylic Paint
- Mod Podge
- Graphite Paper
1. Lightly sand wood.
2. Print out the free heart with Celtic knot printable celticheartknot.
3. Cut out the Celtic heart knot design making sure to leave 1/2 to 1 inch of paper around the design.
5. Tape the design to the wood on top of the graphite paper. Use a ruler to center it.
6. Trace the outline of the design onto the wood using a pencil. Press hard enough to cause the graphite to transfer to the wood. Make sure to trace each part of the pattern. [Tip: Use a colored pencil so you can see where you have traced.]
7. Make sure that the entire design has transferred to the wood before you remove the graphite paper.
8. Burn the pattern into the wood by tracing the design with a wood burner. [Practice first if you’ve never used one. They are easy to get the hang of in a short amount of time. It’s best to practice on the same type of wood that you will be using.]
9. Lightly sand wood again.
10. Paint it the color(s) of choice. You can re-burn the pattern if you make any minor mistakes.
11. Apply a coat of Mod Podge using a foam brush to seal and protect.
12. Give with love or keep and enjoy for yourself!
You may also like:
- You + Me = Love DIY Keepsake Gift
- Valentine Almond Heart Cookies
- Most Popular Posts of 2015
- Top 10 Crafts of 2015
- YUM! Deliciously Healthy Recipes for Kids
- Green Crafty and Creative
For more ideas follow my board on Pinterest.
Subscribe to our newsletter so you don’t miss anything!
The One Essential Tool You Need To Get Organized For Good!
Join the Rhythms of Play community to get organized, connect with your kids, and find the FREEDOM to do the things you LOVE!