This heart with Celtic knot is an easy and fun craft to make for a loved one for Valentine’s Day, an anniversary, or any other special occasion. It would be especially appropriate for the five-year wedding anniversary which is traditionally made of wood.
This design does not have to be on a box. I have provided a free printable pattern that you are welcome to burn onto any piece of wood.
The colors you choose to use are also up to you. If you have a nice piece of wood it can be lovely to leave the wood showing as one of the color options. If not pick two complementary colors that you like. I used a metallic gold and red–but have also done it in denim blue with a red heart which was equally beautiful.
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. I earn a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for choosing to support this blog!
Heart with Celtic Knot Woodburn Tutorial
- Wood Hinged Memory Box or other wooden item large enough for the design.
- Fine Sanding Sponge
- Painter’s Tape
- Graphite Paper
- Woodburning Pen
- Brush Set
- Red Acrylic Paint
- Gold Acrylic Paint
- Mod Podge
- Graphite Paper
1. Lightly sand wood.
2. Print out the free heart with Celtic knot printable celticheartknot.
3. Cut out the Celtic heart knot design making sure to leave 1/2 to 1 inch of paper around the design.
5. Tape the design to the wood on top of the graphite paper. Use a ruler to center it.
6. Trace the outline of the design onto the wood using a pencil. Press hard enough to cause the graphite to transfer to the wood. Make sure to trace each part of the pattern. [Tip: Use a colored pencil so you can see where you have traced.]
7. Make sure that the entire design has transferred to the wood before you remove the graphite paper.
8. Burn the pattern into the wood by tracing the design with a wood burner. [Practice first if you’ve never used one. They are easy to get the hang of in a short amount of time. It’s best to practice on the same type of wood that you will be using.]
9. Lightly sand wood again.
10. Paint it the color(s) of choice. You can re-burn the pattern if you make any minor mistakes.
11. Apply a coat of Mod Podge using a foam brush to seal and protect.
12. Give with love or keep and enjoy for yourself!
You may also like:
- You + Me = Love DIY Keepsake Gift
- Valentine Almond Heart Cookies
- Most Popular Posts of 2015
- Top 10 Crafts of 2015
- YUM! Deliciously Healthy Recipes for Kids
- Green Crafty and Creative
For more ideas follow my board on Pinterest.
Subscribe to our newsletter so you don’t miss anything!
Latest posts by nell (see all)
- Mom Hats for Messy Hair Don’t Care Days - March 20, 2017
- DIY Mother’s Day Personalized Votive Candle Holder Gift Idea - March 15, 2017
- Super Cool T-Shirts Perfect for Dad - March 9, 2017