Getting Started with Essential Oils for a Healthy Home
I have been using essential oils in limited ways for most of my life. When I learned about the amazing starter kits that Young Living offers I knew I had to get one for my family. Once it arrived and I started learning more about it… I realized that I knew absolutely nothing about oils.
Over the past few months I have been learning that I can do pretty much anything with essential oils!
I no longer need to buy products that once ripped a hole in my pocket. Instead, I have learned how to make my own household cleaning products, bath and body products, wellness products, and so much more!
The best part? Using essential oils helps my family stay healthy and reduces our carbon footprint. Two things near and dear to my heart.
These aren’t just pretty little bottles that will sit and collect dust. They are dynamo’s of power that have more uses than anything I have ever purchased. Today I will be sharing several ways that I have been learning to use oils to create a healthy [and happy] home.
This post contains affiliate and independent distributor links — opinions are my own.
Diffuse and Enjoy!
Diffusing oils into the air is one of the best ways to experience the therapeutic benefits of essential oils. Every starter kit from Young Living comes complete with a diffuser. When diffused essential oils may be able to improve air quality, reduce the amount of airborne chemicals and help to create greater physical, emotional, and spiritual harmony.
Did you know that everything you inhale eventually ends up in your blood stream? Commercially purchased air fresheners of all kinds contain chemicals including formaldehyde! If you want your home and the people in it to be healthy keep them far away from your home.
I personally prefer therapeutic grade plant-based oils to chemicals getting into my families bloodstream. Bonus: they smell so much better and don’t damage your olfactory nerves like the commercial air fresheners do.
We love our diffuser! We don’t know how we ever lived without it — talk about life changing benefits. Now that we have one we want one for every room. I diffuse oils to: relieve stress, increase focus and productivity, calm my spirited child, aid sleep, support wellness, reduce odors, decrease airborne chemicals, pathogens and free radicals… the list goes on and on.
Make your own Cleaning Products
I am done with store-bought cleaning products. Even the environmentally friendly one’s. The prices are through the roof and I am constantly finding ingredients in them such as sulfates and parabens that are not friendly to the environment at all. The chemicals found in most cleaning products are toxic, bad for the environment, and especially bad for young children.
I’ll be honest. I always wanted to make my own cleaning products but I was too lazy to do it. I didn’t know where to find essential oils or which ones to buy. When I discovered Young Living and their Seed to Seal® process I was sold. They use a five step process where they oversee the development of each oil from seed to seal.
I soon realized that I was not lazy, I just needed a stock pile like the one that comes in the Young Living starter kit to be at the ready in my house. Since purchasing my starter kit I have made the following cleaning products:
Next I will be making a toilet bowl cleaner, stainless steel cleaner, and an oven cleaner. Be sure you sign up for my newsletter below so you don’t miss it!
Create Your own Bath & Body Products
One of the hardest things for me to wrap my head around has been the realization that the products that we use on our children daily are selected under false pretenses.
Many labels on the market today mislead parents into thinking that they are safe for their children — when the ingredient list proves otherwise. Sulfates, parabens, and mineral oil are some of the worst offenders. This list also includes; alcohol, aluminum, DEA, propylene glycol, and talc. Let the buyer beware!
Since purchasing our starter kit my husband and I have been playing with making all sorts of bath and body products. Products we can trust because we put all the ingredients together ourselves. The store-bought lotions, creams, and sprays of all kinds are slowly going by the way side as we continue to test and perfect our homemade versions.
I have a few facial washes, lotions, creams, lip balms, shaving creams, and leave-in conditioning spray’s that we are testing out before we share our favorites with you. Once again, be sure you sign up for our newsletter below so you don’t miss them.
For now I will leave your with our tried and true leave in conditioner and detangling spray. No more chemicals for us!
Support Emotional & Physical Wellness
Now that we have discovered the wealth of essential oils that can be used to support the emotions and body systems (cardiovascular, respiratory, digestive, immune, etc.) my family has been healthier than ever.
We’ve been learning about how to support our mental-emotional states and body systems using a 400-page reference guide that I recommend to everyone who purchases a starter kit.
For more ideas follow my board on Pinterest!
Ready to Get Started with Essential Oils?
Here is the easiest and most affordable way! When you purchase a Young Living Premium Starter Kit (which is, on its own, a super deal at $160), you will receive:
- The Everyday Essential Oils Collection: Includes Peppermint, Lavender, Lemon, Frankincense, R.C.™, Thieves®, PanAway®, Purification®, Copaiba, and DiGize™.
- Young Living Diffuser
- Stress Away™ essential oil (5 ml)
- AromaGlide™ Roller Fitment
- An additional twelve essential oil sample size products
- Welcome to Young Living booklet
- Member Resource Guide
- Young Living Roadmap to Success
- Essential Oils at a Glance user’s guide
- 10 Love It? Share It! Bottles and Essential Oil Cards
Plus, I will help you “get started” by kicking in these AWESOME EXTRAS:
- $20 Amazon Giftcard: Just because I appreciate you!
- Access to The Oil Nation and Oil Explorers Facebook Groups: Smart groups where you can ask essential oil questions and learn from over 1,000 members.
- Introductory EmailCourse: Covers essential oils basics.
*This offer is valid in US and Canada only.
How to Sign Up for a Premium Starter Kit:
If you are ready to buy a starter kit, then be sure to sign up as a wholesale member (with one of the premium starter kits) through the instructions below.
1. Head over to the Young Living page and fill out your information. (Signing up as a wholesale member does not mean you have to ever sell anything. It simply gives you that option if you so choose and the ability to make Young Living Oil purchases at wholesale prices.)
2. Be sure the “Wholesale Member” option is checked so that you don’t end up paying retail prices.
3. Be sure the “sponsor ID” and “enroller id” say 2606303 (so I can send you your freebies!).
4. If you do not feel comfortable putting in your social security number (this is only for tax purposes if you decide to turn this into a business) then you can get an EIN from the IRS in just a few seconds here and use that number instead (the IRS just needs to be able to connect some number with you for tax purposes). They need a Social Security Number or an EIN because if you make $600 or more per year selling Young Living products, you will receive a 1099 form in the mail (which is required by law). Young Living will never share this info with anyone.
5. Select which starter kit you want to get. My recommendation is the Premium Starter Kit or Premium Starter Kit Military APO/FPO (and those are the onez where you get all of the extras from me). Those are the kits with oils that you will likely use almost every single day! You can get the kit that’s $150, or you can get a kit for $160 with an even nicer essential oil diffuser!
6. During the sign up process, please note that Step 3 is optional. The Young Living Essential Rewards (ER) program is great. It allows you to save on shipping costs and earn credit for every ER purchase along with monthly bonuses. You can always sign up for this voluntary program later; I’ll send over an email with more details on that after you sign up.
7. Go through the checkout process.
8. After you sign up, please fill out the following form with the promotion code RHYTHMSOFPLAY so I can send you your freebies!
[contact-form][contact-field label=’Name’ type=’name’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Email’ type=’email’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Website’ type=’url’/][contact-field label=’Comment’ type=’textarea’ required=’1’/][/contact-form]
IMPORTANT: This promotion is only available when you sign up with the sponsor ID and enroller ID as #2606303! If you recommend this promotion to a friend (or group of friends) and they sign up through this promotion, then please let me know so that you can get credit for referring them.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does signing up make me a distributor?
Nope! You are not required to sell anything at all to anyone. When you become a wholesale member, you get a special link that you can share with friends and get credit from their purchases, but there are no minimum sales amounts at all. In fact, 90% of the wholesale members in Young Living don’t do the business side at all. They are buying from Young Living because of the quality alone.
Am I required to make a minimum purchase each month?
There are absolutely NO minimum monthly purchase requirements. To remain a wholesale member, you have to make $50 worth of purchases per year to keep your membership. But if there’s a year that you don’t make a $50 purchase, you can reinstate your wholesale membership discount by just placing a $50 order.
If you do find yourself making regular purchases each month, then Young Living has a rewards program (Essential Rewards) where you can make a nice percentage back in product credit each month on all of your purchases. So that’s a neat program to join if you find that you *want* to purchase regularly (but it’s not a requirement for being a wholesale member).
Why should I buy from Young Living instead of other essential oils companies?
It does seem like a new essential oils company pops up every day, doesn’t it?
I can’t speak to the quality of other companies, but I can say that Young Living was the only company in my research of essential oil companies that could answer all of my questions about purity in a way that was satisfactory to me.
Young Living was the only company that has their own farms (in the regions where the plants should be grown), could absolutely guarantee that no pesticides or herbicides were used in the growing of any of their oils (they use essential oils for pest control and they do all of the weeding by hand), has their own testing equipment (they do both in-house and 3rd party testing, and use many different testing methods not just GC/MS which only tests for certain chemicals, not whether those chemicals are synthetic or not), and only uses the first distillation of oils instead of adding chemicals to get more out of the plant.
Young Living also was the only company that was directly in charge of essential oil farming operations. Every other company I researched goes through some kind of an “oil broker” to buy their oils. They have to trust that the oil broker is telling the truth, who has to trust that the essential oil distilleries are telling the truth, who have to trust that the farmers are telling the truth about what they say they are doing.
With Young Living, you just have to trust one company instead of several.
I feel like it’s a trust step either way (anyone could be lying) but I felt the most comfortable trusting Young Living since they are a full-disclosure company. ANYONE can visit the farms, participate in the harvesting and distillation, view the Young Living labs, and see the entire process. That’s not an option with any other company.
How will I know which oils to use for what?
One of the benefits of getting a starter kit through this promotion is that you also get to join our private Facebook groups designed specifically for questions about essential oils!
The reference guide that I’m giving away as part of this promotion is also a HUGE resource. You can look up almost anything in it and see which essential oils can be helpful.
Does Young Living only sell essential oils?
The answer to this one was surprising to me when I first got my starter kit! Young Living actually has an entire line of personal care products, supplements, meal replacements, energy drinks, and more! Almost every product incorporates essential oils (for example, Frankincense Essential Oil is absolutely wonderful in facial products), but there’s a wide variety of products available.
Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. The information is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Please confirm any information obtained from or through this website with other sources, and review all information regarding any medical condition or treatment with your physician. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking medical treatment because of something you have read on this website. Please keep essential oils out of the reach of children.
Other Articles Using Essential Oils:
- Getting Started with Essential Oils for a Healthy Home
- The Lazy Mom’s Guide to Making Natural Cleaning Products
- The Lazy Mom’s Guide to Making Natural Glass Cleaner
- The Lazy Mom’s Guide to Making Natural Wood Polish
- 7 Teething Tips to Naturally Sooth Your Baby
- DIY Scented Bath Salts
- DIY All Natural Chemical-Free Outdoor Spray
- Scented Cotton Ball Matching Game
- DIY Leave in Conditioner and Detangling Spray
For more ideas follow my Pinterest Board!
Subscribe to our mailing list so you don’t miss the next post!
The One Essential Tool You Need To Get Organized For Good!
Join the Rhythms of Play community to get organized, connect with your kids, and find the FREEDOM to do the things you LOVE!
Latest posts by nell (see all)
- DIY Monarch Butterfly Peg Dolls - May 16, 2017
- DIY Father’s Day Personalized Candle Holder Gift Idea - May 11, 2017
- Fun Ways to Celebrate the Summer Solstice - May 10, 2017