Spring is the perfect time of year to get outside and observe bees with your kids. My daughter loved bees so much as a young toddler I would always find her sitting in the middle of a bunch of lavender chatting away with them.
One day she caught one and quickly learned what her mother was warning her about. I’m surprised it took a few months before she got stung. She has been stung twice more since then so she now has a very healthy respect for bees.
We are lucky to have lots of bees humming around in our yard and garden this year. We have an amazing organic permaculture yard and garden full of companion plants and ground cover that the bees love. I took each of the photo’s in this post right in our own backyard.
For this activity ask your kid(s) to pay attention to the types of plants bees like. After they have spent some time in an area observing bees you can inform them about the important nature of the work they are doing. They are taking and placing pollen so flowers will bloom and food will grow.
Bees are one of our most important pollinator friends. We need them to pollinate flowers or our crops will fail to thrive and grow.
For more information check out:
- Teaching the Importance of Bees to Kids by ALLterNATIVElearning.
- 5 Coolest Facts About Honey Bees by Green Grubs Garden Club
After you observe bees outside try a craft or activity to learn more about bees.
Links to Fun Bee Crafts & Activities:
- Bubble Wrap Behive and Fingerprint Bee Craft by Crafty Morning
- Cute Pom Pom Craft: My Pet Bee by Molly Moo Crafts
- Toilet Paper Roll Bee by Easy Child Crafts
- Egg Carton Bumble Bees by Nemscok Farms
- Footprint Bee by Crafty Crafted
- Pollen Transfer: Fine Motor Skill by From ABC’s to ACT’s
Books About Bees for Kids:
Look for these books at your local library or use the Amazon affiliate links below — I earn a small commission with no extra cost to you.
- Children’s Book About Bees: A Kids Picture Book About Bees with Photos and Fun Facts
- Bees: A Kids Book About Bees – Learn Fun Facts & See Pictures About The Life of a Bee
- Honey Bees: A Kids Book About Bees, Amazing & Fun Facts Picture and Learning Guide To Honey Bees. (Full Graphically Illustrated Pages)
Subscribe to our mailing list so you don’t miss next weeks activity!
The One Essential Tool You Need To Get Organized For Good!
Join the Rhythms of Play community to get organized, connect with your kids, and find the FREEDOM to do the things you LOVE!
Latest posts by nell (see all)
- DIY Monarch Butterfly Peg Dolls - May 16, 2017
- DIY Father’s Day Personalized Candle Holder Gift Idea - May 11, 2017
- Fun Ways to Celebrate the Summer Solstice - May 10, 2017