This fairy winter wonderland small world is the perfect way to invite your children to engage in imaginative pretend play. Pretend play allows children to flex their creative muscles and develop their imaginations.
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. I earn a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for choosing to support this blog!
Fairy Winter Wonderland Small World
While some forms of pretend play are larger than life, small worlds are a miniaturized version. Doll houses are probably one of the most well-known forms of small world pretend play.
While most small worlds look detailed and complex, you will be surprised at how easy they are to put together. My daughter and I made this one in less than 20 minutes! She has played with it for hours and hours ever since.
This small world includes sensory elements and fine motor activities. Small world play is also known to enhance literary skills. They are so much fun to make and play with!
Fairy Winter Wonderland Small World Materials
- Wooden Tray – We upcycled the tray we got with this Wooden Dough Tools Set, but this same sized Wood Serving Tray or this larger Wood Serving Tray would also be perfect.
- Tea candle house – White Snowflake House or White House
- Flameless Candles
- Fairies or DIY Winter Fairies
- Epsom Salt
- Mixed Beads – We pulled blue white and clear shapes out of this assorted box
- Rhinestone Pinecones (optional)
- Pruning Shears
- Twigs and/or small branches
- Old Play dough
Fairy Winter Wonderland Small World Directions
1. Collect twigs and/or small branches. Find one’s small enough to be able to decorate with beads.
2. Use pruning shears to trim branches to look like small winter trees.
3. Roll 2-4 cups of old play dough into a large fat worm the length of your tray. Mold into the back of the tray lengthwise.
4. Invite child to stick twigs tree’s into the playdough. This is great for developing hand-eye coordination.
5. Fill Tray with Epsom salts. My daughter loved them for sensory play. She loved it so much I caught her playing with her feet in the tray one day!
6. Invite your children to decorate the twig tree’s with pony beads. This is an excellent fine motor activity that they can continue to do as they play with the tray. We keep a small bowl of blue, white, and clear pony beads near this fairy winter wonderland small world. They often end up in the snow where they look just as lovely.
7. Place house with tealight inside, rhinestone pinecones, and fairies into the small world.
8. Allow child to play!
This fairy winter wonderland small worlds is fun to put together and provides unlimited hours of pretend play. It is also wonderful for developing fine motor skills, the sensory system, and literary skills. Make one with your child today!
You may also like:
- Natural Materials for Pretend Play
- 15 Open-Ended Toys for Pretend Play
- DIY Rainbow Colored Wooden Blocks
- DIY Waldorf Square
- DIY Rainbow Peg Dolls
- All Season Hand and Fingerprint Tree
- Beautiful Gifts Kids Can Make
For more fun ideas follow my Pinterest board!
Latest posts by nell (see all)
- Mom Hats for Messy Hair Don’t Care Days - March 20, 2017
- DIY Mother’s Day Personalized Votive Candle Holder Gift Idea - March 15, 2017
- Super Cool T-Shirts Perfect for Dad - March 9, 2017