These cute little DIY fall peg doll fairies are a lot easier to make than they look. It only took my daughter and myself about an hour to make them from start to finish.
They make cute autumn home decor and look wonderful displayed on windowsills, shelves, nature tables and in fairy gardens.
These little autumn fairy dolls are also perfect for pretend play. My daughter hasn’t stopped playing with them since we made them. We have also made a set of winter fairies and will be making spring and summer ones this year!
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. Thank you for choosing to support this blog!
DIY Fall Peg Doll Fairies
DIY Fall Peg Doll Fairies: Materials
- Peg dolls [There are enough peg dolls in this set to make these fairies, Rainbow Peg Dolls, Monarch Butterfly Peg Dolls, and Peg doll Boats.]
- Acrylic Paint [Gold, Orange, Espresso, and Plum.]
- Paint Brush(s)
- Foam brush (In brush set above)
- Mod Podge (Optional)
- Paint Pens (Or you can use this incredible nib dipped in paint)
- Sewing Scissors (easy to cut felt)
- Glue or glue gun with glue sticks
- Gold star sequins (optional)
DIY Fall Peg Doll Fairies: Directions
Step 1 – Paint Bodies
If you are allowing a younger child to help you make these like I did tape off the heads with painters tape. It doesn’t matter if it pulls a little paint off. You will touch up the neck when you paint the heads.
Step 2 – Paint Heads
- Look at the head and decide which part you want to be the face.
- Paint a line from shoulder to shoulder. Don’t worry if it’s messy.
- Paint back of head.
- Square off head by painting across the forehead.
- Touch up and/or paint neck and any other areas that need cleaning up around the face.
Step 3 – Paint Faces
- Use a red paint pen to make a mouth.
- Mark 2 sets of 2 dots for eyes.
- Connect each set of 2 dots with a U to make the eyes.
- Alternatively, you can just dot the eyes, and you can use black instead of brown. (Check out DIY Rainbow Peg Dolls for to learn how to do a different face.)
Step 4 – Mod Podge to Seal and protect (Optional)
Use foam a brush to apply Mod Podge to the entire doll. It goes on white and dries clear.
Step 5 – Cut out wings
- Cut out 2 inch by 1 1/2 inch rectangles of felt to match the colors of the peg dolls. [We used dark brown, gold, purple, and orange.]
- Fold felt rectangle in half lengthwise.
- Mark off a 1/2-inch section in the middle.
- Cut from top mark to top opposite corner, and from bottom mark to bottom opposite corner.
- Open wings and place thumb in the middle. Make the wing curve in by cutting from the bottom corner in toward thumb. Once you reach the middle cut away from thumb toward the top corner. Repeat on the other side.
Step 6 – Glue on Wings and Star Sequins
- Place a drop of glue in the middle of the wings. (Using a glue gun makes this a lot quicker and easier because the glue dries instantly. My daughter wanted to help and she was not ready for glue guns back when we first made these so we used craft glue.)
- Place peg dolls upper back on the glue.
- Glue a star sequin to the middle of each fairy’s forehead.
These cute little fall peg doll fairies are surprisingly easy to make. All you need is a few simple materials and a spare hour. They are a wonderful addition to nature tables, fairy gardens, and are a lovely way to decorate for fall. They are also great to use for pretend play.
You May Also Like
- Top 10 Fall Nature Crafts
- How to Make a Fall Nature Table
- Sensory Card Nature Scavenger Hunt
- Collect Treasures for a Nature Sensory Bin
- 11 Ways to Celebrate the Fall Autumnal Equinox
- Nature-Inspired Sensory Bottles
- Watercolor and Fall Leaves Art
For more fun ideas follow me on Facebook & Pinterest!
Subscribe to our mailing list so you don’t miss the next post!