These bug-free outdoor drink hacks have saved my sanity.
I can’t stand it when I find a bug in my drink. Once a bug has found its way into my glass it is forever ruined for me.
I know it’s just a bit of extra protein but I can’t drink it. Not even after it’s been removed.
Flies dancing around the rim of my glass are no different. Not interested, thanks.
These bug free outdoor drink hacks are for beverages of all types. From water, to wine, to green smoothies these drink hacks will keep you covered!
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. Thank you for choosing to support this blog!
Bug-Free Outdoor Drink Hacks
Bugs seem to have an affinity for anything I’m drinking outside, especially if it’s a glass of wine.
Is there anything worse than a bunch of flies in your wine–ugh!
A few years ago, I was sitting outside enjoying a glass of wine when I had a light bulb moment.
I ran in the house as my husband called after me, “Where are you going?”
When I returned I had a cheshire cat grin on my face.
I stood there holding my wine completely amused that my idea had worked… and it was perfect.
My husband looked at me (like husbands do) and said, “What?”
I held out my glass and said, “LOOK!” Isn’t this awesome! It works! It totally works!”
I had placed a wide mouth mason jar lid on top of my glass and it fit like a glove!
The rubberized notch on the bottom of the lid sat perfectly upon the rim of my stemless red wine glass.
It was perfect… I was in love.
No bugs bathed in my wine that night, and I got to finish my whole glass. Happy me.
From that moment I was hooked. I started looking for simple solutions for all of the glasses my family likes to drink from.
3 Bug-Free Outdoor Drink Hacks
My family prefers to drink from glass even when outside. Drinks taste better and it’s more sustainable for our planet.
We’ve never had a problem with broken glasses. I can’t even remember the last time someone broke one and I have 3-year olds at my house all the time!
1. Mason Canning Jar Lids
Mason canning jar lids work on lots of different types of glasses. They fit the best on canning jars–duh–and stemless red wine glasses, but they also work well on pint glasses and mugs too!
I love being able to set a mason jar lid on my drink and walk away from it with no worries!
There will be no bugs in it when I return. Happy days!
Lids and glasses pictured above:
- 8oz mason canning jar with lids OR regular mason canning jar lids only (8oz orange juice top left in photo collage above–also great for milk)
- wide mouth mason canning jar lids (pint glass, mug, and stemless red wine glasses in photo above)
- Stemless wine glasses
- Pint glass
2. GreenPaxx Lids
GreenPazz makes a universal lid with a straw that works on most glasses. These are great for kids!
3. Mason Canning Jars with Specialized Lids
My family likes to use mason jars for preserving foods and as drinking glasses. The next bug-free outdoor drink hacks all use mason jars with various lids I have found over the years.
The small 8oz, and tall 12oz glasses are perfect for my daughters little hands, while the wide mouth 16oz, 24oz, and 32oz are perfect for larger drinks like iced tea and green smoothies.
Our favorite mason canning jars for drinks are listed below.
- 8oz mason canning jars
- 12oz tall mason canning jars
- Wide mouth mason jars
- Wide mouth pint and a half mason canning jars
- Wide mouth quart 32oz mason canning jars
Drink tops for Mason Canning Jars
You do not need to get all of these lids. I would choose one or two of your favorites. They all serve slightly different purposes. Choose the ones that work best for your needs.
We have the Eco-jar and Cuppow lids because those were the first to become available.
Today I would choose ReCAPS or Lids over the Cuppow lid because they can be closed and you can use a straw. I’m also in love with the Brew Armor silicone sleeves and lids. I have ordered a few of each for our collection.
Ball also has a plastic lid with plastic drinking straw that I don’t have listed here. I prefer the Eco-Jar options listed in #5 below.
- Wide mouth mason canning jar pour lid (sold in a variety of colors for drinking and food storage)
- Wide mouth mason canning jar flip lid (sold in a variety of colors for drinking and food storage)
- Wide mouth mason canning jar drink lids (available in variety of colors with straw hole and slide to close option)
- Regular mouth mason canning jar drink lids (straw hole with slide to close)
- Stainless steel straight and bent reusable drinking straws for mason jars
3. Brew Armor
- Wide mouth mason canning jar silicone lid with silicone cork
- Wide mouth 24oz mason canning jar silicone sleeve, lid, and cork
- Wide mouth 16oz mason canning jar silicone sleeve
- Wide mouth 24oz mason canning jar silicone sleeve
- Wide mouth mason canning jar drink lid (on the water glass featured in photo collage below there is no straw hole, it is for sipping)
- Regular mouth mason canning jar drink lid
5. Eco-Jar Drink Tops (Featured on top and bottom left in photo collage below)
- Wide mouth stainless steel drink top
- Wide mouth silicone drink top
- Regular mouth silicone drink top
- Regular mouth silicone coffee top
- Stainless steel drinking straws
These bug-free outdoor drink hacks are perfect for the entire family. The tips contained in this article will keep your outdoor drinks bug free and your family happy.
Many of these hacks are also perfect for travel or drinks to go. From water, to wine, to green smoothies, these drink hacks will keep you covered!
You May Also Like
- How to Raise a Helper
- Start Your Own Fairy Garden
- Shadow Art Outdoor Science
- 8 Reasons I Allow my Child to go Barefoot
- Kids Yoga: Tips to Get Started
- All Season Hand and Fingerprint Tree
- DIY Leave-in Conditioner and Detangling Spray
- DIY Butterfly Tree
For more fun ideas follow me on Facebook & Pinterest!
Subscribe to our mailing list so you don’t miss anything!
The One Essential Tool You Need To Get Organized For Good!
Join the Rhythms of Play community to get organized, connect with your kids, and find the FREEDOM to do the things you LOVE!
Latest posts by nell (see all)
- DIY Monarch Butterfly Peg Dolls - May 16, 2017
- DIY Father’s Day Personalized Candle Holder Gift Idea - May 11, 2017
- Fun Ways to Celebrate the Summer Solstice - May 10, 2017