Apple Orchard Field Trip Ideas for Kids
An outing to an apple orchard can be the beginning of a wonderful harvest celebration for both schools and families. It’s a wonderful thing to do in the autumn for a class field trip or a fun family adventure whether you are a homeschooling family or not.
Even though we grow our own apples our family likes to visit an apple orchard each fall as a part of our daughter’s homeschooling education.
This apple orchard field trip guide contains everything you need to enjoy harvesting apples this fall. Below you will find links to a harvesting guide, where to find apple orchards in your area, harvesting baskets, fun apple activity’s, books and awesome apple recipes to enjoy the fruits of your labors.
For more fall field trip ideas check out Pumpkin Patch Field Trip Ideas and Corn Maze Field Trip Ideas! The post is a part of the Get Outside and Connect Series. Click on the link to learn more about it.
Apple Orchard Field Trip Ideas
Visit a pick your own apple orchard this fall! Use these handy tips to make a plan to take your class or the whole family apple picking this harvest.
Apples are typically ripe for the picking from Mid-June to Mid-November depending on the variety of apple. The most common varieties are just beginning to ripen at this time of year.
Apple Orchard Field Trip Ideas: Find an Apple Orchard Near You
Organic orchards are recommended, but harder to find. Check your local newspaper, family resource guide, or visit Pick Your Own to find an orchard near you.
Make sure you call the orchard to ask:
- When the smallest crowd is expected.
- If the branches are low enough for small children to pick. Odds are you won’t want to be holding your child up all day or hauling a ladder around with you.
- If they have wagons available or if they allow you to bring your own.
- If there is food available for purchase or if they have a place to sit and eat if you bring your own picnic.
Apple Orchard Field Trip Ideas: BYOB
The apple orchard will most likely have bags available for picking, but I recommend bringing your own baskets and/or reusable bags. My favorite free trade baskets for farmers markets, and pick your own farms can be found at the following affiliate link.
Apple Orchard Field Trip Ideas: Apple Activity’s
Before and after you go to the apple orchard you can extend your child’s learning by trying some of these fun apple activities!
1. Teach your children about the parts of an apple; Core, seeds, flesh, skin, stem, and leaf.
2. Lay an apple on its side and cut into thin sections. Show the child the star in the center of the apple around the core.
3. Try this Apple Hedgehog fine motor activity by Rhythms of Play.
4. Learn how an apple grows with this Preschool Apple Science Activity from Little Bins for Little Hands.
5. Try this easy Apple Science Experiment from Pre-K Pages.
6. Craft a Clove Apple Pomander from Crafting a Green World.
7. Peel apples for many of the recipes found below using the easy and inexpensive apple peeler, and corer. It is a wonderful practical life activity for food preparation that kids love.
8. Print out this Apple Life Cycle Printable from The Stay at Home Educator.
9. Try your hand at a few apple crafts. You can find a few in Top 10 Fall Nature Crafts.
Apple Orchard Field Trip Ideas: Awesome Apple Recipes
Wondering what you’re going to do with all those apples? Below you will find several awesome apple recipes to enjoy the fruits of your labor. I highly recommend making some apple sauce or apple butter as a part of your apple activities. Recipes for both can be found below.
- Apple Pie Oatmeal from Rhythms of Play
- Apple Berry Stew from Nemcsok Farms
- Apple Squash Bread from Sunny Day Family
- Grandma’s Apple Crisp from 10 Acres and 6 Chicks
- Easy Recipe for Applesauce from Teaching 2 and 3 Year Olds
- Cinnamon Apple Zucchini Muffins from Arts and Crackers
- Baked Apples with Walnuts from Totally the Bomb
- The Magic of Caramel Apples from Inspiring NH Kids
- Crock Pot Apple Butter from My frugal Adventures
- Baked Cinnamon Apple Chips from Sally’s Baking Addiction
- Apple Fritter Monkey Bread from Bren Did
- Easy Apple Oatmeal Scones from Bren Did
- Apple Pie Puffed Oven Pancake from Bren Did
- Apple and Pomegranate Salad
Apple Orchard Field Trip Ideas: Apple Book Recommendations
To extend learning you can read some of these books with your children both before and after you go to an apple orchard. Click on the (affiliate link) images below to learn more about each book.
An outing to an apple orchard can be the beginning of a wonderful autumn harvest celebration for both schools and families. Visiting an apple farm is a fun activity for a class field trip or a family adventure whether you homeschool or not.
This guide contains everything you need to enjoy harvesting apples this fall. Complete with links to a harvesting guide, how find apple orchards in your area, fun apple activity’s and crafts, and awesome apple recipes to enjoy the fruits of your labors are included.
You may also like:
- Pumpkin Patch Field Trip Ideas
- Corn Maze Field Trip Ideas
- Berry Picking Field Trip Ideas
- Get Outside & Connect
- YUM! Deliciously Healthy Recipes for Kids
Subscribe to our newsletter so you don’t miss anything!
The One Essential Tool You Need To Get Organized For Good!
Join the Rhythms of Play community to get organized, connect with your kids, and find the FREEDOM to do the things you LOVE!
Latest posts by nell (see all)
- DIY Monarch Butterfly Peg Dolls - May 16, 2017
- DIY Father’s Day Personalized Candle Holder Gift Idea - May 11, 2017
- Fun Ways to Celebrate the Summer Solstice - May 10, 2017